Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Skis Fly Free (not really)

OaklandTraveler
Explorer C

So.... the latest promotion to hit the homepage was about how your skis (and snowboards) fly free.  This is definitely not the case and someone in the marketing department should pull the wording or have more clarification in the fine print.

If you check the fine print on the promotion page, it does say that you can check-in a pair of skis (or a snowboard) and boots and poles, in a package acceptable by the carrier.  I would say 99.99% of people will use a ski or snowboard bag (instead of plastic wrapping their equipment).  The problem is that most of these bags are WAAAY over the 62" limit that would then deem the baggage as "oversized".  And therefore would kick in the $75 additional charge each way.  And yes, I called the 1-800 number to confirm that the $75 still does apply.

So yes, you won't be charged the $25 to check in your skis as a general baggage fee, but you'll still have to pay the $75 for the oversize'ness of the bag.  So no, our skis (and snowboards) will not fly free.

Please see it in your heart to not use the term "Free" as this is misleading and I'm sure will get more than a few people upset this winter when they check-in their bags and claim that you ran a promotion to say it would be "Free".

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Skis Fly Free (not really)

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @OaklandTraveler

Welcome to the Southwest Airlines Community! Hopefully I can clear this up for you - snow skis do fly for free on Southwest. As stated on Southwest.com (see Special Luggage/Sports Equipment), your ski equipment will not be subject to excess size charges. However, excess weight charges may apply if it weighs more than 50 pounds. Here's the exact excerpt noting the exception for size:

• Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately.

Note: Snow ski equipment will not be subject to excess size charges. However, excess weight charges may apply.

Ashley

Ashley
Community Manager

OaklandTraveler
Explorer C

Thanks Ashley, that's certainly good news!

This may need to be reiterated with the Call Center as I called them as well and they did say that the ski equipment was still subject to the bag size limits.

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee

@OaklandTraveler I will relay that feedback to the appropriate Team. 

Hope to see you around the Community!

Ashley

Ashley
Community Manager

Unhappytraveler
Explorer C

Very dissappointed - My son just flew home from Boise with his one piece of luggage and his snowboard bag and Boot Bag.  After reading this post, reading your website and my son contacting customer service, we were lead to believe that he would not be charged for the extra bag and oversized luggage.  Low and behold he had to pay a $75.00 fee for his snowboard bag at the Boise airport.   It cost more to fly his bag than it did for him to fly.  No apology from anyone at the airport for you mispresentation of this policy both in writing and over the phone just sorry your bag is oversized.

Beware flyers - you will be paying for you ski equipment.

southwestmember
Explorer C

I'm not sure why this post hasn't been updated, but Southwest's website shows that ski equipment will NOT be subject to an oversize fee. This is as of November 2018.Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 8.45.52 PM.png

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@southwestmember wrote:

I'm not sure why this post hasn't been updated, but Southwest's website shows that ski equipment will NOT be subject to an oversize fee. This is as of November 2018.Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 8.45.52 PM.png

These aren't FAQ pages - each member is an independent person posting their own thoughts, so there is not a method to go back and make corrections other than posting a new reply unless each person chose to go back and edit.

That said, the rules now were the same back then, so there must be some other reason that the fee was assessed. Reading the post I wasn't clear if there were two or three total items - the oversize isn't supposed to be applied, but it doesn't make it a free item either if there were more than two items.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@southwestmember wrote:

These aren't FAQ pages - each member is an independent person posting their own thoughts, so there is not a method to go back and make corrections other than posting a new reply unless each person chose to go back and edit.

That said, the rules now were the same back then, so there must be some other reason that the fee was assessed. Reading the post I wasn't clear if there were two or three total items - the oversize isn't supposed to be applied, but it doesn't make it a free item either if there were more than two items.

Actually, a ski bag and a separate boot bag together only count as one item. (Meaning you can have three total if it's a ski bag, a boot bag, and a regular checked bag.)

dfwskier
Aviator A

@southwestmember wrote:

The oversize bag fee does not apply, but the overweight fee might. Any bag over 50 pounds is overweght. Put 2 or 3 pairs of skis plus other stuff in a bag, and the bag might be overweight.