Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Snow Boot Bag - Additional Clothing?

LAX_Steven1
Explorer C

I'm excited to have chosen Southwest for my upcoming ski vacation (due to the terrific ski luggage policy.)

My question is -- what qualifies as a "Ski Boot Bag" -- I have a boot bag that allows me to put the boots in a bottom compartment and then helmet, and small clothes in the larger compartment.

Would this count as a separate bag?  Or can this Ski Boot Bag count as my combined Ski/Ski Boot allowance and count as the ONE bag.  

Ski Bag -  - Counts as Bag #1

Ski Boot Bag described above - Counts as Bag #1

Standard Suitcase -  - Counts as Bag #2

Basically, the question is if other clothes/accessories can go in with my ski boots?

Thank you,

LAX_Steven1

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Snow Boot Bag - Additional Clothing?

SWDigits
Aviator A

I've never checked ski equipment but here is the Southwest wording with the source (bold italic emphasis added by me):

--> start quote (source: https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/special_luggage_faq.html)<-- 

Sports Equipment - Baggage Allowance

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately.

Note: Snow ski equipment will not be subject to excess size charges. However, excess weight charges may apply.

--> end quote <--

Customer | Home airport DCA

LAX_Steven1
Explorer C

Thank you for the link... this is where my question started since it is not clear if the boot/skis as separate bags (but count as one) -- it doesn't have any details on the size of the boot bag.  Steven

dfwskier
Aviator A

I always carry my boot bag on the plane Why: if checked luggge gets lost I still have my boots helmet and basic clothing.

You just have to conform to the crry on bag size rules:

10x16z24 inches

You can put aything you want in the bag: boots, helmet, goggle sox, goggles, clothing

LAX_Steven1
Explorer C

Thank you dfwskiier for the suggestion. This is a great reason to carry-on.  It would work, but I'd rather check since it's heavy to lug around the airport.

https://www.dakine.com/products/boot-locker-69l

The dimensions would work:  21 x 13 x 7" 

I hope to hear back from Southwest directly if this bag will count as a good ski companion bag.

Steven

@KelbyTansey  or @MarkHursh  can you help?

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@LAX_Steven1 your best bet is to get in touch directly with Southwest outside of the forums, Twitter reportedly gets the fastest response times (their Twitter handle and other options are in the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum pages).

There are some Southwest folks here in the forums but the folks you've tagged stop by when they get a chance and their areas of expertise are in other areas.  Best bet for a timely response is the Contact Us link.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

The policy as written seems pretty cler to me:

"Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately."

Your ski bag and your separate boot bag would count as one bag. Feel free to stuff more than just boots in the boot bag.

Make sure that each of your bags weigh less than 50 pounts or you'll incur a $35 "overweight" charge.

Jeffery22
Explorer B

Was this when you had previously checked other bags with luggage up to your checked bag quota, plus the ski bag on top of that? Or was the ski bag supposed to be merely an enlarged piece of regular luggage that they insisted had to only be used to transport skis?

I'm not being sarcastic; I need some extra space in my bad for crybaby bomber JacketI really want to know what to expect if my only checked luggage is a ski bag filled with skis and clothing.