Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Soaked through suitcases

sdthompson
Explorer C

We always fly southwest and have never had a serious issue. For the most part, the staff is helpful and things are as smooth as possible. I flew home this last week from Florida to only find my suitcases completely soaked through. They are hard case except for the space where you zip them, water was trapped on both inside zipper pockets. This is a serious issue and shows how long my bags sat in the rain. My papers and books ruined and falling apart. Thankfully my electric items are still in tact. I tried to call and was on hold for over an hour with no email option. So here I am, very frustrated and disappointed with this service. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Soaked through suitcases

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

Sorry to hear about your things being damaged. You can contact Southwest Customer Relations by calling 855-234-4654 or email them by clicking the "Contact Us" link on the bottom of the Southwest home page.

Soaked bags are certainly not limited to Southwest. I've worked on the ramp for two different airlines and speak from experience when I tell you that most ramp agents try to ensure that your bags are taken care of. Unfortunately, during periods of heavy rain it is impossible to keep bags dry. Even if bags are left in a baggage cart, rain can get past the cart's curtain and soak the bags inside. And, in the event of lightning, ramp agents are directed to immediately stop what they are doing and seek shelter which means bags may sit on the belt loader or ground in the rain for extended periods of time.

Once again, I am sorry for what happened to your bags and agree that it is frustrating. I hope you will continue to fly Southwest despite this experience.