Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Social distance seating . How many passengers per row of seating?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@davedurfee wrote:

Sorry to hear about your brother.

If the reason for the trip is to see your dying brother , and you have doubt that he'll make it to Memorial Day, then perhaps you should consider travelling now.

We know that planes are virtually empty now.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

If there needed to be an official policy in place then the U.S. Department of Transportation would issue a temporary order for airlines to do so.

If airline infection due to this was thought to be such a major thing it’d be on the news. But it’s not, because flights aren’t full or even close. Many flights have 20 people on them including the crew.

Ask Southwest how many seats are available on your flight if there’s not many and since your flight is in May you can rebook to another day for free.

If you’re that concerned don’t fly or go buy a biohazard suit. There’s literally no way to socially distance 6 feet on a plane. Even if you said everyone had to take a window seat and the other two can’t be seated because they’d be too close to person across the aisle then you’d be within 6 ft. of the person in front and behind you in the window seat.

It makes no sense to put a policy in place that isn’t realistic as there are 0 full flights, not one single one in the month of May on any route.

Again we implore you to reach out to Southwest and ask how many seats are available on your flight my guess is it’s a minimum of 30, but there are likely to be 60 or more available. They’ll respond within minutes it’s not time consuming and you don’t have to wait on hold. But you’re not changing anyone’s mind here as the facts are that there aren’t any full flights or even close to full.

neicymae
Explorer C

Seeking info on social distancing.   Flying to California with my family of 6.  Can't find definite response 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@neicymae wrote:

Seeking info on social distancing.   Flying to California with my family of 6.  Can't find definite response 

Through July, Southwest has promised to sell only 2/3rds of the plane, effectively allowing for empty middle seats, to address social distancing needs. As a family, however, you can sit next to each other if you desire, including in middle seats if necessary. Masks are currently required onboard. Hope this helps!

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

I don't care about social distancing.

Now, or in the future.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@Mrlance3 I think you will find more details about your question here: Southwest Promise 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

kneumeyer
Explorer C

On April 26th I flew on flight 3897 from Ft. Myers to Pittsburgh and the airplane was completely full, all 143 seats.  I wrongly "assumed" that Southwest was practicing some type of social distancing.  Masks were not required and the man next to my husband fell asleep with his mouth hanging open for most of the flight.  From what I understand, flights were canceled prior to mine but when and what flights, I'm not sure.  I hear those of you that say you made a choice to fly and how can you really practice social distancing on an airplane, but Southwest just announced new plans for doing so which leaves me feeling like they dropped ball on flight 3897.  Someone from the flight contacted a local news channel in Pittsburgh and they aired the story but I haven't heard anything further.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@kneumeyer 

At this point, we as community members can only point you to what SW has announced.

If you would like to discuss directly with Southwest, I would reach out to their PR department.

Contact 

Customer Relations

Phone: 1-855-234-4654

Twitter: @SouthwestAir

Facebook: @SouthwestAir

Email here.

Tip: Social media assistance is often quickest and is available 24/7/365.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

kneumeyer
Explorer C

Thank you, I did send an email last week but haven't heard back yet.  I'm sure they are overwhelmed.