Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SouthWest Stun Gun Policy

54nustra
Explorer C

Hello SouthWest Community,

Pardon my long post but I am curious on what SouthWest Airline's policy is when it comes to Integrated Lithium Battery Stun Gun(s) in Checked Baggage. My fiancé was checking in for her flight within the states and she had a Stun Gun she planned on bringing for self defense in her checked baggage. Two representatives at the counter have denied her checked baggage until the Lithium Battery Stun Gun was removed. Since Stun Guns are not allowed in carryon, then she cannot take the stun gun with her. I tried to search around in the forum and policies and I cannot find much information regarding the ban of Stun Gun and Lithium Batteries under 100Wh on SouthWest Airline. I read through TSA policies regarding Stun Gun:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/stun-gunsshocking-devices

and Lithium Batteries less than 100Wh:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/lithium-batteries-100-watt-hours-o...

So far, I tried to read through SouthWest Policies regarding Stun Guns and Lithium Batteries; besides Pepper Spray ban by the airline, there are no restrictions regarding Stun Guns that I can find. The Lithium battery used by the stun gun can not be used as a power bank, and it is an integrated battery within the device so it is not a loose or spare battery as stated here in the battery section:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

The battery does not appear to be damaged, defective, nor was it recalled. Even if viewed as a PED, the policy states that:

"...the device must be switched off and measures must be taken to ensure it cannot be accidentally activated when placed in checked baggage."

However... stun guns are not PEDs; they're not firearms/ammunition. So after all the stuff I typed out to this point, are they considered a Smart Bag? Just for the fact that it is a device with integrated Lithium Battery(the stun gun is NOT a BAGGAGE that contains the integrated battery though)? Or is this a misrepresentation of SouthWest staffs on their policies?

I'm asking this question in hoping to achieve a conclusion for future reference and for future customers that will be or wishes to fly with SouthWest that may have this question in mind (I couldn't find much regarding SouthWest Airline policy on integrated lithium battery powered stun gun). The only thing I saw about Stun Gun was an answer in the Pepper Spray post which the person was rejected service for trying to bring on stun gun/taser and/or pepper spray. If there are any references, please post them!

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: SouthWest Stun Gun Policy

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, it appears that the FAA would allow it in checked baggage:

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=23054

The prohibition on lithium batteries in checked baggage applies to loose (spare) batteries and certain items with an established history of battery ignition. If it's good enough for the FAA, it should be good enough for the airline.

I'd suggest that you contact customer service to get a formal ruing. I'd suggest getting it in writing so that you would be able to show a wayward Southwest employee who does not

understand.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

gsking
Aviator C

Agreed.  TSA really determines checked bag security protocol.

My advice...meet the TSA restrictions and don't offer details to the ticket agents that really don't matter and may confuse them. 

disneykids
Explorer C

According to TSA: Tasers, Stun Guns, and Electro-Shock Weapons (Conducted Electrical Weapons) must be transported in a manner that renders the device inoperable from accidental discharge. Some of these devices are manufactured with lithium batteries. 

Given this, it would seem that if you take the batteries out of the weapon before packing in a checked bag; then just carry on the batteries. Since there is no specific prohibition with Southwest, and why would there be if the device is basically a hunk of useless nothing, then I don't see any necessity to report it when checking baggage any more than a tube of toothpaste. So long as you are transporting the battery safely in a carry-on bag and it passes through TSA, all should be fine. You may want to keep this link handy in your phone (or printout) in case you are questioned to show your guidance on the matter.

Stun Guns/Shocking Devices | Transportation Security Administration (tsa.gov)

Wandanista
Explorer C

It is an integrated battery, which cannot be reminded...just like mine. I, too, need the same info. 

Wandanista
Explorer C

Hi..I have the same issue you had. I am traveling at 3:00 am tomorrow, alone and taking uber to airport. I want to pack it in my checked luggage when I arrive at airport but I do not want to violate the rules. Did you ever find a satisfactory answer to your question?

dfwskier
Aviator A

going back to what was said earlier in the thread, the operative words are:

Tasers, Stun Guns, and Electro-Shock Weapons (Conducted Electrical Weapons) must be transported in a manner that renders the device inoperable from accidental discharge. Some of these devices are manufactured with lithium batteries."

My read is that if you can do  that, then it's fine  in checked baggage.  If not, it can't fly with you.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Bring a postage paid envelope with you and drop it in the mail on the way to security?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Tara_S
Explorer C

I just finished checking in for my flight from ATL to LAS. When I dropped my bags off at bag drop, the agent asked me if I had any weapons, explosives, etc etc, and for some reason, I said “I have a stun gun, is that okay?”.

Long story short, they asked a bunch of people (went to the back and were on the phone & everything) and eventually, someone with some authority said no.

At first, it seemed the issue was with the battery and whether it was lithium. They asked me to confirm, but I was unable to because for whatever reason neither the official brand website nor the Amazon listing I’d bought it from specified the type of battery. But while I was searching, it seems whoever the agent had asked figured it out after five minutes, and they conclusively said no stun guns point blank.

I asked to clarify - does Southwest deviate from TSA policy? Because TSA allows stun guns through. They said that yes, Southwest policy is different and it is Southwest policy to not allow stun guns onto the plane. 

What’s funny is that I managed to fly to ATL on Southwest with that same stun gun in my checked baggage. No issues that time, and I didn’t bother saying anything because I thought, if TSA says okay, then it’s okay. Why I said something this time is a mystery, even to me. So draw whatever conclusions you’d like from that.