Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Cancels Flights - I want a REFUND, not a credit

ArmitageMKE
Explorer C

Folks:

Southwest Cancelled my flight and didn't have an option for 3 days. I decided to fly with another airline. I want a refund of my ticket price and my "upgrade" to the A4 position I spent $40 on . 

Department of Transportation rules and contract law 101 suggests that I am entitled to a refund of the cost of the ticket plus upgrade, but NOWHERE can I find that on the Southwest website. I can cancel my ticket, but it told me that I would get flight credits. The text I received from Southwest mentioned that I should rebook on available flights or get a credit for future travel. NO. They cancelled the flight, I didn't buy a ticket under the terms that if Southwest Cancels I MUST book another flight on their airline or lose that money. 

I tried to call as that was another suggested "option". LIterally was on hold 3 hours - I have a screenshot on my phone for 2 hours 56 minutes. I just left the phone going on a cold rainy day while I did other things. 

Short of travelling to the airport, or  calling my credit card company to contest the charge, anyone have an easy way of getting this refund? 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Southwest Cancels Flights - I want a REFUND, not a credit

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

When SW cancelled our flight, we went to the ticket desk to and requested a refund after they could not rebook us. The Agent said "no problem". However, no refund has been issued. SW issued a flight credit instead. It is just more of SW employees saying things that are simply not accurate.

We will probably have to open a claim with the credit card company since we can't get through to SW to resolve.

ArmitageMKE
Explorer C

My flight was cancelled 4 hours before the flight, so I guess I was "lucky" that I didn't go to the airport (and flew out of an alternative airport).  You are correct, going with the credit card challenge is likely the easiest option, but it's a joke that we have to resort to that. Anyone else have any ideas, am I missing something here?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If Southwest cancels your flight you can request a refund, it's just not the default method. Simply send a message and request the refund. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. A little patience might be needed, but that's all that is required.

--TheMiddleSeat

ArmitageMKE
Explorer C

Thanks for your advise here  - I've followed the "contact us" link and sent an email through Southwest's internal system. Hopefully they respond with a refund without incident. It is surprising to me that they require this type of knowledge to get a refund on cancelled flights. Must be a significant number of people who are not interested in flying out 2-5 days after their originally scheduled flight over the Holidays. If refund to your original form of purchase was an option, I would suspect that people wouldn't be waiting 5+ hours on hold on the phone. Southwest for sure has made a conscious decision not to prompt customers for actual refunds, and the result is, right now, a horrible customer experience. Folks like me - who figured out different plans - calling them to get refunds, while other folks, who can't figure out on line how to reschedule their flights, calling to reschedule. 

Maybe it's good for revenue to keep folk's money as flight credit, but it's misleading to customers (refunds are required by federal law and Contracts 101) and gums up the customer service operation when people need it most. Southwest should be chastised for this behavior. It's arguably unethical. Other airlines have a refund option on their website. You don't have to ask for it. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I agree. People should not have to figure out that they can get a refund instead of a credit. It should be obvious.

LawsuitforSW
Adventurer C

You obviously are not in this situation right now. They aren't issuing refunds and the methods you suggest do not work.

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

Send the email (as we did 3 days ago) but back that up with opening a claim with your credit card company. If the company is good, they will also launch an investigation and they will contact SW on your behalf.

LawsuitforSW
Adventurer C

Yeah it's not that simple but thanks 

bec102896
Aviator A

@SWAnotherWokeCo wrote:

When SW cancelled our flight, we went to the ticket desk to and requested a refund after they could not rebook us. The Agent said "no problem". However, no refund has been issued. SW issued a flight credit instead. It is just more of SW employees saying things that are simply not accurate.

We will probably have to open a claim with the credit card company since we can't get through to SW to resolve.

You realize it was a weekend and holiday right? Southwest issued the refund the bank must then process it which can take up to 30 days depending on your bank