Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Lost My Bags and Won't Compensate

montrice626
Explorer C

On Thursday November 18, 2021, I traveled from Memphis to Atlanta on Southwest Flight 2574 for the Delta Sigma Theta Convention in Atlanta. I checked in two pieces of luggage at the counter. One luggage was a red Delta rolling suitcase. The second luggage was a black Tote n Carry duffle. Once I arrived in Atlanta the evening of November 18th, I went to the baggage carousel to claim my bags. I was only able to retrieve my red rolling suitcase. My black duffle never appeared on the belt.

I immediately went to Southwest Baggage counter to inquire the location of my bag. I was able to talk to counter representative. At the counter, I was rudely instructed by an agent that I could not file a missing claim and to allow the airline to locate the bag. I was then instructed to return the following morning after 10:30am to see if the bag came in on the first flight from Memphis. Went through my only bag and noticed immediately I did not have items to make it through the night as stores were closed and it was after 10pm. I was offered no compensation at the time to suffice for the night as I without toiletries, underwear, and shoes. The agent stated, “I can’t give you anything, I’m not sure your bag is missing.”

The morning of Friday November 19, 2021, I return to Atlanta airport to check with Southwest to see if the bag had come in on the morning flights. I arrived around 11:30am to give the morning flights time to land and unload. I spoke with different agent who was very helpful at the counter. She attempted researched the location of my bag. We then discovered that my bag tag number had already been recycled in the system and was assigned to someone else in a different location. It was then I emotionally became unstable. I only had one pair of shoes, no toiletries, no underwear, and necessary items for my convention were nowhere to be found. I was in Atlanta for 6 days and spent and had to recover all those items while there. The agent took my claim with someone of the noticeable missing items. I was unable to provide her with a full list of exactly was missing because I had not fully unpacked. I was instructed to give the airlines 5 days before I could complete a Lost/Missing claim with my items. I still was not compensated by Southwest airlines, therefore I had to rent a rental car to go purchase items all before attending convention on that day. I suffered extreme anxiety and went into debt trying to recover and make the best of this trip.

I was able to file my claim electronically on November 25, 2021. I provided receipts of the items that were inside of my duffle bag. On November 29th, I received correspondence in Southwest portal from Tom notifying me he was my case worker. I received no updated from Tom. On December 16th, I received a message from Makeda who stated she would be taking over my file. She requested that I completed a release form and have it notarized to have retailers verify my purchases due to them being high end and a handwritten claim form. I submitted the requested documents on December 28th as I had covid during the time and could not get my firms notarized which is the reason for the delay in submitting.

On January 4, 2022, I received the following notice in regard to my claim from Makeda,” Unfortunately, the results of our investigation have revealed substantial discrepancies in the information provided in your claim, which has given us reason to doubt its validity. Because of these concerns, we are unable to ethically determine a proper settlement and are, regrettably, denying the same. Please contact us at the number referenced above if you have any questions”. I was livid and very upset to find out that Southwest decided to take no responsibility at all for my luggage that contained $3915.17 of merchandised that I had proof I purchased. There was no remorse at all. I then requested the opportunity to resubmit the claim using the exact receipts so that someone else may view my case. I was denied the opportunity. I then request to speak to a supervisor who could possibly provide further details and evidence as to why my claim was not approved.

On January 19th, I received a call from Rhonda of Southwest West Baggage department in Dallas, Tx. I was unable to speak with her due her calling while I was at work. I returned her call and left several messages from January 19th to February 1st of 2022. On February 4th, I received a return call from Rhonda. She asked me to explain my trip and what took place. After sharing my experience with Rhonda, she told me that she was unable to review my case again and the decision was final. I asked could she provide the discrepancies found in the claim that led to denial. Her response was that because it is a legal document, she cannot share the information. I asked was it possible to receive the same legal document I sign by mail, she denied. I asked could I resubmit the documents for her to view my case personally and she denied that as well. She informed me at that once the claim was found unethical that no longer must provide any compensation for my lost bag.

As a working-class American who patronizes Southwest for majority of my travel, I do not feel comfortable flying with the airline due to their lack of responsibility. I can not support nor trust them to get me and my belongings to our destination without interruption. I am seeking compensation for my belongings lost on flight 2574 on November 18,2021. Southwest should be held 100% responsible for my missing bag that they official declared lost.

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Southwest Lost My Bags and Won't Compensate

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Besides airing of grievances it's unclear what you are hoping for by posting this. This is a customer to customer forum and you will not get a response from Southwest here. I will say the contract of carriage you agree to when purchasing a ticket with Southwest states the maximum value of a lost bag is $3800.  Personally I am a fan of lost and delayed baggage insurance coverage included with many popular credit cards. Perhaps that would help you if this were to happen again. I suggest you read the contact of carriage to see what options you have now that your claim has been denied.

--TheMiddleSeat

montrice626
Explorer C

I shared my experience to see what others have done or if this is new. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@montrice626 Small claims court?

dfwskier
Aviator A

If I were you, I would write to Southwest's CEO

Robert Jordan

CEO

Southwest Airlines

P.O. Box 36647 
Dallas, Texas 75235

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm just going to say I've had lost SWA baggage multiple times before and have never encountered this issue.  Nor has anyone I know who had their luggage lost.  I'm sure the whole story ties it all neatly together, but after the start of the 3rd paragraph, I went to the last sentence.   (Way too long for me, sorry)  I've always found whomever I was in contact with at their most diligent service to get me my lost bags, and always have.  They inform me of the scan thingy on each bag and they can track did it get on a plane, and did it get off a plane.  It also has told me that it went on the wrong plane and we followed it every step of the way.  I didn't even lose a bag and have always been compensated.  I only say this because my wife is an attorny, you are entitled to all those records you say you are not, now you're informed.  Sorry to hear of your issue, I hope it gets resolved.  

terifoster8
Explorer C

Well, my husband & I did not receive our luggage til after our trip and still have not received anything or even a response on the portal. The communication with this process is very unprofessional and basically I feel they do not even care if we are Reimbursed for all the money we had to spend. I will never fly Southwest again. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

So does that mean that your $3915 of missing stuff was returned to you?

montrice626
Explorer C

Correct! I have not been compensated nor was my bag found and returned. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@montrice626 wrote:

Correct! I have not been compensated nor was my bag found and returned. 

Sorry, but I am confused. About 3 or 4 posts up thread you said "Well, my husband & I did not receive our luggage til after our trip:"

that seems to imply that you did receive your luggage.