Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest Lost My Bags and Won't Compensate

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier You're confusing two different people in the thread. Thread got hijacked by someone else sharing their experience.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@dfwskier You're confusing two different people in the thread. Thread got hijacked by someone else sharing their experience.

--TheMiddleSeat

OK

I guess I need to pay closer attention to user names

montrice626
Explorer C

My same sentiment. As of yesterday, the only thing I’ve received was $100 travel voucher I have no intentions on using it. 

terifoster8
Explorer C

Finally got a response from a representative and my issues were resolved and I was reimbursed. It just took 2 months.

Thank you Southwest

Kiwalee
Explorer C

Wow! The more I read about these incidents and complaints I feel like this is an extremely big insurance scam that Southwest is running. My experience is very similar and this is heartbreaking that they treat their loyal customers this way and there must be something further that can be done! I may make it my mission to publicize this kind of treatment get the news involved, Class action lawsuit or something.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Kiwalee I suggest you read the contract of carriage before making silly statements like this.  Everything is in writing and agreed to as part of your purchase.  This is standard amongst all airlines.

https://www.southwest.com/contractofcarriage/

--TheMiddleSeat

wwtraverler
Explorer C

Thank you for posting this. As of now I don't see that your problem has been addressed. Please post any updates on this.

My son has had a near identical experience to yours. He flew Southwest on a direct flight from San Diego to San Jose on October 30, 2022. He checked in two bags of which only one arrived. He immediately reported it to the Southwest baggage handling department. They told him not to worry and that they would trace it and have it to him the next day. The bag did not arrive the next day either. Southwest asked him to wait for 5 days before filing a lost baggage claim which we did on Nov 7, 2022.

The lost baggage claim document was very detailed. It contained passenger details/baggage questionnaire/Claim Documents/Contents/Expenses/Certification. He compiled with every part of it. He included receipts for many of the lost items.  He did not include any Interim Expenses which are expenses while the bag is lost. 

On December 2, 2022, Southwest replied in a formal communication that they were actively tracing the property through an industry tracing system and asked him to file a police report with the local police which he did the same day. He then sent them the pending report from the police including the report number.

On December 5, 2022, Southwest replied in a formal communication that they were unable to locate the bag. They denied the claim stating that their "investigation had revealed substantial discrepancies in the information provided in your claim, which has given us reason to doubt its validity. Because of these concerns, we are unable to ethically determine a proper settlement and are, regrettably, denying the same."

My son wrote back to them asking for the claim being denied outright as he had complied with every step of their long process and provided his phone number. He then called the agent who told him that they were legally protected from telling him the reason and that he would have to court in order for them to disclose the reason.

They then sent another PDF which says that this is their final decision and closed the claim.

Please understand that we have always loved Southwest and always chose them even when alternate airlines are available. This is the first time Southwest Customer and Baggage Services treating us so badly as if we were criminals in filing the claim for a bag they acknowledge they lost. We have never been to court and would hate to go to court in spite of Southwest baggage services telling us that this is the only way out.

My son suffers from serious anxiety and panic disorders and this is causing him a lot of issues. His confidence has been affected badly which is forcing me to write on behalf of him. 

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on how to resolve this matter other than going to small claims court? Thank you.

montrice626
Explorer C

I hate to hear this happened to your soon. 

It’s now two years later and the EXACT reaction is what I received as well. Like your son, I had a serious panic attack in a city I was very unfamiliar with nothing but the shoes and clothes on my back and a limited budget because I spent a lot of money to prepare for the trip. 

My advice is to travel with air tags and all expensive purchases put in a carry on. If they request you check the bag in, you may refuse. That’s how my bag of my expensive items ended up under the plane (if it ever made it). 

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Yes, you can refuse to check your carry-on...but the chances are that neither you nor your carry-on will continue on that flight.  You will most probably be deplaned.

Be proactive and always expect that this may happen.  I carry a small fabric, grocery-type bag in my carry-on.  If I'm asked to check it, I remove all valuables, electronics, medications, etc. and place them in this bag.  This bag will easily fit under the seat in front of me.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@wwtraverler wrote:

They denied the claim stating that their "investigation had revealed substantial discrepancies in the information provided in your claim, which has given us reason to doubt its validity. 

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on how to resolve this matter other than going to small claims court? Thank you.

Sorry this happened to your son.

Well the first thing I would do is DEMAND to know what the "substantial discrepancies" were:

I'd start t with customer service and move on the the CEO if needed. 

I'd also file a complaint with the DOT.

I can't seem to post a link at the moment so just search for "DOT airline complaint"