Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest Lost My Bags and Won't Compensate

floridaguy
Aviator C

My suggestion is to write to the CEO of Southwest at their Dallas Texas office, explaining your situation.

You will likely receive a LUV voucher or other compensation.

wwtraverler
Explorer C

I finally wrote to the CEOs office asking for a reason for complete denial of the claim. After a few days, I got this reply with a denial again giving no explanation for denial quoting “established guidelines“.

Thank you for your patience while I researched your concerns. I appreciate the opportunity to follow-up with you.

I regret any frustration over the process of settling your son’s claim with our Customer and Baggage Services Department (CBS). It is important to note that we have established guidelines for our personnel responsible for evaluating claims when a Customer reports missing luggage or items. 

Nobody likes to lean in the Customer’s favor more than Southwest Airlines. Although we are unable to alter CBS’s decision regarding your son’s claim, we appreciate the time you took to make us aware of your concerns. I apologize for any added stress this situation has caused.

We are committed to delivering safe, dependable, and enjoyable air transportation. We would welcome the chance to serve your family onboard.

jenniferbowers
Explorer C

Yikes, so in yours and the OP's situation, and others like this, is SW essentially calling their own customers liars, but not providing reason or evidence? I would be livid! And surprising coming from this airline which I thought would be better than this.

When I was teaching, if I ever caught a student plagiarizing their work I wouldn't just give them an F without showing them my specific reasoning. It was not so hard for me to just point to the paragraph that they copied and say "because of this." Anyway it was the right thing to do. I literally don't understand why you can be denied (accused of embellishing or lying on your claim) without proof. 

The interesting thing about OP's case is that in addition to receipts they can easily prove their registration for the convention and need for (nice) clothes, it wasn't a secret event or anything. In the comment above, the son did everything right snfbprovided receipts which I can't really imagine myself doing at all as someone with bad ADHD. Hope this never happens to me, or any of my 5 friends I'm planning a trip with this spring, singing Southwest's praises. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

The next step is to read the terms of use on the Southwest site to see if arbitration is the next step.  Whatever the next step to resolve disputes it needs to be taken.

wwtraverler
Explorer C

@Jenni Correct, they are calling the customers unethical without giving any reason. Please note that we asked where the discrepancies where and the reason for outright denial. We also asked if we could correct the discrepancies and refile the claim or at least approve the claim where there were no discrepancies. Southwest customer service said that they cannot reveal the reasons because they were legally protected and we would have to go to court to get the reason AND closed the claim. Here is the exact letter from them.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding your lost bag. We have completed our evaluation of your claim and regret that our efforts to locate your property have not been successful. We understand how difficult the waiting period during this process can sometimes be and we want to again express our sincere appreciation for your patience and your efforts to cooperate with all of our requests. When processing a baggage claim there are guidelines that we must follow for a variety of reasons. Each case presents a different and unique set of circumstances requiring personal attention, careful research, and often the use of outside resources, such as other airlines, merchants, and law enforcement entities. Unfortunately, the results of our investigation have revealed substantial discrepancies in the information provided in your claim, which has given us reason to doubt its validity. Because of these concerns, we are unable to ethically determine a proper settlement and are, regrettably, denying the same. 

Swish
Explorer C

I would suggest that Pete Buttigieg (Travel Secretary) take a look at this. 

Swish
Explorer C

You are absolutely correct.  This action by SWA not to reasonably take care of mitigating damages caused to probably 1 million travelers this last week, is unconscionable.  SWA must make this right to all travelers affected by their lack of IT enhancements to their systems. 

wwtraverler
Explorer C

As a last resort, I have now filed a complaint with DOT.

dfwskier
Aviator A

My city has a TV station with consumer help as part of it's newscast. If your city has one of these, you could reach out to the station for assistance.

I'd be surprised if DOT could do anything, but hey, it's worth a shot.

floridaguy
Aviator C

This is exactly where there are multiple lawsuits right now about the Holiday DISASTER.