Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Policy on Employee Vaccination

ibeckerman
Explorer C

We were disappointed to read that Southwest will not require employees to be vaccinated.  Especially with regard to flight crew.  We are both vaccinated and will be wearing masks, but we see no reason that employees who are also in confined spaces with us aren't required to be vaccinated.  Other airlines, specifically United, is requiring it.

Vaccination is the best way to get past this pandemic. More Americans need to be vaccinated.  More vaccine needs to be shared worldwide.

It is too late for us to change our plans for our upcoming trip next week. However, in the future, we will be looking for airlines that take those measures to protect their staff and their passengers.

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Southwest Policy on Employee Vaccination

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

This is a customer to customer community, you are welcome to submit your comments directly to Southwest

Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

ibeckerman
Explorer C
  • thank you for the advice. We will follow up.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@ibeckerman While we are not currently requiring Employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19, we are strongly encouraging it. 

Nicole
Community Manager

wantoknow
Explorer C

Is this still the policy on employee vaccinations?

Missbeancounter
Explorer C

I am actually happy that SW does not require vaccines to fly on their planes.

I just learned that there is a bill being put before Congress H.R. 9480 to require all domestic flight passengers to be vaccinated.  If the airlines allow this to pass... they will lose a lot of business.  Also why would be use the SW Visa for airline miles any longer.  What would be the point?

I hope the airlines get involved with congress trying to take away even more of our freedoms and stop this ludicrous bill from passing.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Missbeancounter wrote:

I just learned that there is a bill being put before Congress H.R. 9480 to require all domestic flight passengers to be vaccinated.  If the airlines allow this to pass... they will lose a lot of business. 

Like most bills, I *highly* doubt this will go anywhere.

--Jessica

lynnm
Explorer C

"In the real world, "patriotism" embodies the words of the Supreme Court in 1905 as they endorsed government-mandated smallpox vaccination: "Individual liberty is not absolute in the face of 'the common good,' and that 'real liberty for all' depends on restraining individual exercises of liberty that harm others." This was also seen in our eager and active, unified national response to the polio epidemic in the 1950s." Jeoffry B. Gordon, MD, MPH,

7ronin
Explorer C

The US Constitution is our nation's legal foundation. The Declaration of Independence is our moral and ethical foundation. We have been given 'certain inalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness-'. Jefferson listed them in order. You cannot exercise Liberty if you are dead, or gravely ill. And how can one exercise the Pursuit of Happiness if one fears the ignorance and lack of compassion of their fellow citizens. The Supreme Court was right very early in the last century.  We do not have the right to endanger our fellow citizens. Period.

Get the shots. And all businesses should mandate them.

gsking
Aviator C

If you're vaccinated,  and you are worried that the fight attendants are vaccinated,  but you forgot that the rest of the passengers are NOT necessarily vaccinated,  I can deduce that you haven't really thought through your risk situation very well at all. 

Please fly another airline.   I don't want to run the risk of being seated next to you and have to hear your whining.