Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest cancelled my flight - down system

adeelasad
Explorer C

I need a solution.  I can't reach anyone at southwest , no chat , over 5 hrs on customer service , email , Twitter,  fb. No word back. We are  stranded in an extended stay in FLL ..due to southwest system failure and flight cancelation.  I recieved a text at near midnight night before and since I didn't sleep all night trying to figure what did they rebook me for but nothing is clear. I have 2 infants and out of money . I had to book additional room at hotel paying weekend charges , bought a return one-way ticket with jet blue for 4 of us tomorrow paid over  1k since I am not able  get in touch with southwest.  I would like to know how can southwest reimburse my family for this unnecessary, extremely inconvenient and lunexpected exppierience . 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Southwest cancelled my flight - down system

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As you mentioned, Southwest appears to be having a system problem this morning. What do you expect Southwest to do while they are having a problem? Once the issue is resolved they will most likely be able to get you to where you need to go. You could wait at the airport, that way you can get on a flight as soon as it's available. It's unlikely you will receive reimbursement for travel on another airline. Phone calls are good for immediate needs even if it is a multi hour wait. After the fact, writing to Southwest is better to request any sort of financial accommodation.

--TheMiddleSeat

adeelasad
Explorer C

Ok Middleseat. You take a seat. I don't know if you a paid contributor hired by SW.  I need a solution not your smart A** comment. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I believe I offered some reasonable ideas. What about my suggestion to go to the airport or write for reimbursement do you not like?

And my comment about reimbursement is based on facts and policies. I guess you don't like honest answers?

--TheMiddleSeat

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Maybe we can make this clearer its not corporate Southwest.

Paul15
Explorer C

I am quite shocked at this reply, for several reasons.

And I am even more shocked that more people haven’t commented here about this recent and ongoing problem.

I can only assume rightly, that everyones first priory is being more committed to ensuring their families and themselves are safe and comfortable as best as they can be.

We, like the thousands have been caught up in the utter nonsense of SW airlines from  Sat 2nd April 22 to now as of the date of this post, 4th April 22

The ground staff have being pleasant and polite given what they have had to deal with, and those we see on a regular basis over the last 3days have worked very long hours, so a round of applause for them.

All this nonsense lies with top senior   management  who have been nowhere to be seen on the front line over the last three days or nights.

It’s acknowledged that system failures on Friday 1st April 22 led to what can only be discribed as the worst case of customer service  management EVER.

Why then is SW still pushing the narrative of weather to staff on the ground to say. A window of weather only came for a short period after the systems had already failed, even with the weather a number of flights still came and went.

We were airside, (with bags checked in) with our flight still showing as on time on the boards, why?

Why did SW keep checking people and bags in?

Why did they let people go through security to airside to cancel their fights when they already knew they weren’t available to fly?

Why did they simply say join a customer service line 10hours long to rebook alternatives that weren’t  available or went on to be cancelled yet again, we spoke to one person that had a flight changed 4 time before giving up.

Why?? This is just the tip of the iceberg of this incredible and needless situation, which, with the right instructions and meaningful actions would have prevented, distress, displacement and heartbreak for THOUSANDS at MOC over the last few days.

Senior management hang your head in SHAME and if you need to talk to me no problem we are still on the airport, but only til 3.30pm fingers crossed, because DELTA came to our rescue.

But sadly not our bags obviously because you’ve still got them SW, Godbless them where ever they my be.

SHAME on you SW, consolidate and compensate, properly and no more bulxxxit please.

FB8FDCDD-1A6B-4F04-A377-F0E22DC0EB2A.jpeg

DF619093-AC9C-4904-B388-7A076576DD91.jpeg

7EC345D3-92EE-4181-BEC9-60D3C3FD946D.jpeg

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@adeelasad I'd say I'm far from the only one, but I was going to contact you with a way to send you some money, but since you only put FLL or whatever, I don't know what city that is.  I only had a small window and didn't have the time to look up city airport codes.  I hope you made it to your destination.  

adeelasad
Explorer C

Thank @SWFlyer007 for your offer. We are still here in Fort Lauderdale. To make the matter worse, out JetBlue flight was also canceled, Flight 2080,  they moved us to next flight 1880 that canceled as well.  It was nuts. Airlines take no responsibility when it's weather-related, and I promise you it had nothing to do with the weather.   In reality,  all other airlines canceled because all the pilots were timed -out, and took on more flights due to demand from southwest cancellation. All 5 of us were there till 5 am, and had to find hotel from 6 am till checkout 11 am for $498. Jetblue said their policy is not to reimburse or give out hotel vouchers. In fairness, Southwest did book us back now and only charged us what i paid originally for my return ticket -  so that's positive.  Hope everyone else in this situation got back home safely.