Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest kicked an autistic three year old off a flight because he would not keep a mask on.

lynesjohn
Explorer C

I was absolutely appalled to read a story about a mother and her two children being kicked off of a Southwest flight because she could not get her autistic three year old to keep his mask on.

This is the sort of over-the-top heavy-handed behavior I would expect to see with Delta or United or American, but certainly not with Southwest.

I am incredibly disappointed - and disillusioned - with your airline.

Gary needs to proactively fix this!

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Southwest kicked an autistic three year old off a flight because he would not keep a mask on.

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

No, the mother needed to realize this was an inappropriate situation into which to place her child. Wait....she did! She had her doctor's 'excuse' for her kid. The rules are clear, mask. If anything, look at the rates of infection in children with autism. Its because their parents don't want to deal with the outbursts when they are expected to wash their hands.

Autism, while the behavior cause du jour, is not a free pass in society for your kid to get to do, not do, or behave however they feel like.

Re: Southwest kicked an autistic three year old off a flight because he would not keep a mask on.

Mmlowe
Explorer C

No, A child with a legal disability can travel by law.  The question is what reasonable accommodations.  Disabled people cannot be denied their places in society.   Southwest’s own website says if there is a disability we were handle at the airport, don’t contact us ahead of time.  If this is their policy, it is illegal and torturous to a 3yr old.

child. The first flight was fine, the 2nd not.

Your post dismisses and marginalizes a handicap.  To strand a mother with 2 small kids is Not ok!! 

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

Southwest has well-articulated its mask policy. The child also became disruptive. No one is marginalizing anyone. The child was given access and not discriminated against. The child could not comply with the requirement for travel. No one did anything illegal or inappropriate. We need to distinguish that from feeling badly for the family in this circumstance or in general.

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

Wrong answer. Southwest cannot legally force someone who is unable to wear a mask to do so. Contrary to what the other poster said, the Air Carrier Access Act does NOT allow for what the Southwest Airlines employees did since a 3 year old child not wearing a mask would not have any impact on the safety of other passengers.

In fact, by wearing a mask, studies have shown that the chances of infection occurring would have INCREASED. All the scientific and medical literature show that the wearing of masks increases the likelihood of infection, even in operating rooms. 

So sorry to say, but you are wrong. Nothing the family did threatened the safety of other passengers. The lawsuit has already been filed. To deny that the Air Carrier Access Act "does not" apply to those with disabilities is asinine at this point.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@PetertheProphet

eProphet 

All the scientific and medical literature show that the wearing of masks increases the likelihood of infection, even in operating rooms.   ??????

ALL??  Well, I'd like for you to just post "several" links that defend this argument.  As for your all, I google this topic and see the 1st 2 threads already dispute this.  

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@PetertheProphet

eProphet 

All the scientific and medical literature show that the wearing of masks increases the likelihood of infection, even in operating rooms.   ??????

ALL??  Well, I'd like for you to just post "several" links that defend this argument.  As for your all, I google this topic and see the 1st 2 threads already dispute this.  

You won't find this through Google, but you may want to try Swiss Cows. 

This article was written by a mainstream allopathic emergency room physician who believes that the virus exists and causes disease. Even he agrees that face masks are useless: https://www.meehanmd.com/blog/2020-10-10-an-evidence-based-scientific-analysis-of-why-masks-are-inef... 

Here's a list compiled by Dr. Arthur Firstenberg:

https://www.realfoodhouston.com/wp-files/dr-arthur-firstenbergs-research-on-medical-face-masks/

Masks INCREASE the risk of infection, contrary to current opinion. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

hmmm, who should I believe

Jim Meehan, MD (opthamlogist, and not infectious diseases)

https://americanloons.blogspot.com/2018/03/1989-jim-meehan_31.html

or the CDC ?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/15/fact-check-cdc-report-masks-covid-19-tests-...

decisions, decisions ...

dfwskier
Aviator A

dfwskier
Aviator A

Maybe you should read some of the hundreds of comments here from people who are "incredibly disappointed" when Southwest doesn't enforce it's mask policy.

The policy is "over 2 - no mask, no plane ride" --- no exceptions