Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest should follow what airlines are doing for requiring passengers to wear masks on board

SurferGirl
Explorer C

Re: Southwest should follow what airlines are doing for requiring passengers to wear masks on board

Matt4202
Adventurer A

After reading that article my take is that Southwest is going to mandate employees to wear masks, not consumers. 

Additionally they are pushing to make it federal policy for the burden of health screenings to be done through TSA, not airlines. Which is fair enough TSA must have some medical person on hand at each airport.

Southwest also noted they planned to lower ticket sales to only 2/3 capacity to essentially remove the middle seat.

My thinking is IF airlines do require masks the airlines themselves should provide them to people who cannot get them or do not have one. I’ve been to my local Target, Walmart and CVS none of which have masks of any type in stock. To order online it’s about a month wait when I checked a day or so ago. But if it’s something they want to enforce they should be the ones to provide it. If they’re buying in bulk they could get them for what $0.10 each for basic ones? Hardly a burden for them.

Perrr1958
Explorer C

I have to travel next week and I am very concerned Southwest is not following the same CDC safety guidelines as other airlines.  I am a loyal SW flyer, but I am calling SW tomorrow and if they are not changing their rules for all passengers to wear masks, I will be looking for another airline to fly on.  It’s bad enough I have to get on a plane, I am not going to take more risk than necessary and take the chance seats are full of people with no masks, regardless how “clean” their planes are.  

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest will require passengers to wear masks starting May 11th. Customers who do not have one will be able to receive one upon request.  More here: Southwest Promise.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Ocrobb
Explorer C

On a flight now. Southwest not actively trying to social distance passengers. Seats are dirty with crumbs, thus it obviously hasn’t been cleaned. Waiting until May 11th to implement a common sense policy that should have been implemented months ago is ludicrous. Listened to the CEOs speech this morning on NPR and was feeling hopeful, now realize it was just marketing. No real concerns for safety. No Luv. Southwest employees working in the terminal were out of compliance of local ordinances too. Wearing a mask around ones ear is not helpful. Clearly Southwest has a training issue. I will canceling my flights for the rest of the year on Southwest 

pseaman
Explorer C

I totally agree!!! 

Explorer C

Absolutely disagree. I will NOT fly as long as I am required to wear a mask. I refuse to perpetuate fear, and this whole mask thing is part of not only maintaining fear, but of creating a FALSE sense of security. You want to mask up, fine, but don't force your fears on me.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@27888464 wrote:

Absolutely disagree. I will NOT fly as long as I am required to wear a mask. I refuse to perpetuate fear, and this whole mask thing is part of not only maintaining fear, but of creating a FALSE sense of security. You want to mask up, fine, but don't force your fears on me.

I guess you are not going to fly then as about all airlines will soon require them, Amtrak too from what I hear. Greyhound, too.

So how do you plan to travel?