Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest stopping nonstop route between SFO and SNA

jbloore1
Explorer C

I've taken this flight 1-2 times a month for the past few years. I can't understand why this route would be completely cut out. These flights were always packed even despite the rising airfare price over the years. 

I've now had to start flying in and out of OAK which is a massively inconvenient just to stay on Southwest. But I've noticed starting in mid-June even that route is going to cut out the 7am flight. 

It seems like Southwest doesn't want to support anyone that travels this route for work purposes anymore, which is very disappointing. Despite my A-List status and loyalty over the years, starting mid-June I'm going to be looking for new airline that can better support my SoCal to SF travel. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share our position with you, and let you know that we appreciate all the feedback. With destinations coast to coast, more on the way, and 34 of our aircraft out of service, our Network Planning Department has a big job to do. Dozens of factors come into play in determining if a flight may or may not be profitable, such as the number of discounted fares offered on a given flight, airport costs, and many other things that eventually determine if a flight may or may not be a profitable one. For that reason, it’s hard to determine the success or failure of a route or a flight segment simply by looking at the number of Passengers onboard.

Since we don’t have an unlimited number of aircraft and Employees, we have to make the most out of what we have and create a flight schedule that maximizes our resources, ensures cost savings (and low fares), and offers the best overall product to our Customers. I know that my explanation does not solve the problem of getting you from point A to point B, and I’m truly sorry to know that we might lose your patronage for even one trip as a result of these changes.  My hope is that, when we service a route that fits your travel needs, you’ll continue to choose Southwest as your patronage means the world to us.

Nicole
Community Manager

James94525
Adventurer C

I think that is reasonable, that is a lot of air craft out of service. I have confidence that routes will be restored once you have all of those aircraft on line. As one who wants to apply for a Flight Attendant position, I have figured there won't be any openings until those aircraft are back in the rotation, the effect on those flight crews must be a burden for the airlines. 

Thank you for clearing that up. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@James94525 wrote:

... As one who wants to apply for a Flight Attendant position, I have figured there won't be any openings until those aircraft are back in the rotation, the effect on those flight crews must be a burden for the airlines. 

That's hard to say - the aircraft grounding accounts for 5% of previously scheduled flights had heard more or less - anyway I don't know the annual turnover on FA's but if it is more than 5% then there could still be opportunities so I wouldn't stop looking necessarily.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.