Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Space under Seats

LuvDogs
Explorer C

I know the width under the seats is different and is the widest under the middle seat in the 3-seat groupings. How wide is the space under the middle seat?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Space under Seats

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Boeing 737s the -300, -500 and -700 series under seat dimensions

Window Seat: 19″L x 14″W x 8.25″H

Middle Seat: 19″L x 19″W x 8.25″H

Aisle Seat: 19″L x 14″W x 8.25″H

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

There is some unofficial additional room on the window side where the slope of the aircraft body allows extra room for a flexible bag that I can't fit under the aisle seats.

Maybe this is why @TheMiddleSeat is so fond of the central location - extra underseat space?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Haha, I really try to be a light packer, at least when it comes to carryon, as I would much rather have the under seat space for my legs and not a bag. So no, the extra width isn’t the main draw to the middle seat for me.

Additional fun fact... Many people don’t realize that the front third(ish) of the plane is actually narrower than the back two thirds so you actually get less shoulder room in the window seats up front.  Probably less space for that bag to go on the side too.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

I will have to bring my tape measure on my next flight because like @DancingDavidE, I believe that the window seat has more under seat storage space than the aisle, and I am thinking floor width on which a bag can be stowed, because the aisle spaces have the outer bar limiting useable space.  At least 1", maybe 1.5".  (It keeps a safer passageway.)  Useable underseat space for the aisle and the window just can't be equal.

I will report back on the validity of my claim (if I ever remember to pack a tape measure, that is).

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It depends on the seats. On the majority of the fleet the center is widest, the window has slightly more room at the top due to the slope as mentioned, and the aisle is the most narrow (despite having the same dimensions as the window). 

On planes with the newest seats (blue slimline Heart interior) the window seat underseat area is larger than either other position, and the aisle is significantly more narrow than the middle.

new-southwest-airlines-seats-737-2.jpg

Schregardus
Explorer C

Wha what is the exact (and I mean exact) usable storage space under an aisle seat on Southwest jet

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Schregardus wrote:

Wha what is the exact (and I mean exact) usable storage space under an aisle seat on Southwest jet

Perhaps you should focus on the maximum allowed size of   items that would fit under a seat instead:   Personal item size limit: 18.5 x 8.5 x 13.5 inch