Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Standby

johnsonhuber
Explorer C

I have a flight tomorrow at 11:30 and I'd like to take an earlier flight out. I have a Wanna Getaway fare, can I get on Standby for the earlier flight?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Standby

dfwskier
Aviator A

Yes, but you'll pay more money unless you are a-list.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Just another thought If your flight is apart of the current weather advisory you could change for free if seats are available on another flight. 

Otherwise you would have to upgrade to the anytime fare if your not A List as already stated.

-Blake

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@johnsonhuber wrote:

I have a flight tomorrow at 11:30 and I'd like to take an earlier flight out. I have a Wanna Getaway fare, can I get on Standby for the earlier flight?

Southwest doesn't really do standby in the traditional way (as other carriers do, for free or a small fee). To go standby on an earlier flight you'll need to:

-- Be on an Anytime or Business Select fare

-- If on WGA, pay to upgrade to the current full-fare

-- Be an A-Lister

-- Have your flight be showing a delay of more than 30 minutes (at discretion of agent)

As suggested earlier, check to see if your flight is covered by the current travel advisory, which would allow one flight change for no extra charge.

I've also found it worth checking to see if WGA fares are still available online, which would allow you to change your flight for significantly less than the gate upgrade cost.

Hope this helps!