Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stolen Diaper Bag

Alexis50
Explorer C

I landed in Phoenix on August 9, 2020 from Chicago on Southwest flight #1991 around 5:30pm on Sunday. My two young children and I were the last ones on the flight to get off and as we got up to baggage claim we noticed the carrousel was stopped and our bags were all there but my black fisher price backpack diaper bag. My son has all his clothes in there and more personal items. Including my work laptop charger. The police saw my bag on the carrousel but according to the angles, they cannot see which direction the individual took. It went around with my other bags and then disappeared on the cameras. I understand not getting to the claim right away but I have two young children and our gate if far from baggage claim. What do I do next? The police can only review what they can and my personal information is on the bag. I need this bag back. I am hoping this was by accident. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Stolen Diaper Bag

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry to hear your bag was stolen from baggage claim. 

Did you file a police report with that way they could try and piece it together with other airport cameras? If not you might call and file a report. 

Did you file a report with southwest at the baggage service office? If not I would call the local baggage office and see if they are able to help. Normally you would need to file the report within 4 hours of your flights arrival and its past that but they might be able to make an exception if you call asap. You could also reach out to Southwest on Twitter and maybe they can assist as well. 

-Blake 

Alexis50
Explorer C

I filed a report right away. They can see the bag on the carrousel and then it disappears. They tried to piece it together but because it was taken in a spot that they cannot see, they do not know which direction to go. 

Baggage claim and the police told me they would update me if its turned in but that happened at 5:30 pm and it is not 10:30 the next day. I am thinking these people will not turn it in 😞 All my sons clothes and new clothes are in that bag and more. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

I would have to assume it was a simple error. Bags look alike and perhaps someone grabbed the wrong bag by mistake. Thieves don't normally steal diaper bags.

I've taken the wrong suitcase before (when I was still checking bags), and another time, someone took mine. In both of those cases the bags ended up with the correct persons.

I hope that yours does, too.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Alexis50 wrote:

I filed a report right away.  

By that, I hope you mean a missing bag report with Southwest as the airline does have responsibility to get your bag to you.

Again, sorry to hear that this has happened to you.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I would agree with, DFWskier, if your bad was plane and similar to many others.  And sometimes people get conscious and return them.  I had a similar situation with leaving my fanny pack int he seat.  Although I did get my fanny pack returned with license, credit cards, house, and car keys...everything except the estimated $500 in cash.   Could be a good time for all airlines to "expand" their security cameras to be able to see all angles and more of a panoramic view of all baggage claim areas.  Not making excuses, but in these uncertain times when people are just a bit more desperate, maybe even saving money on diapers can make a person do something they don't normally do.  I know this doesn't make the issue any better, I just wanted to give my perspective.  Losing a laptop hurts!!

Alexis50
Explorer C

No one has turned it in or notified me. They do have a lot of theft and say that they do have recurring individuals come in and take bags. Unfortunately, we had to change our daughter before going down to baggage claim. The police can see the bag then it disappears and since I have not received a call from someone taking it in two days nor turning it in, I do believe it was intentional. Also it was new school clothes for my son and daughter inside. I am beyond hurt because I worked so hard to get all those items on vacation. I do not know what else to do. 

bec102896
Aviator A

I would try reaching out to the baggage service office and see if maybe someone turned it in but they never got around to calling you. 

Alexis50
Explorer C

No one turned it in. They have kept me updated. 

I am thinking its gone 😞 

Texbabygirl
Adventurer B

My rule has always been, never check anything you would mind some one else having. Small bags and pack backs are quick picking for those pirates, pack your scuba lead in there to slow them down.