Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stolen Points from Southwest Website

rebellod
Explorer C

I had my rapid reward account hacked. Over 79,000 points were stolen. Southwest is giving me the run around on restoring my points. I am hearing that this is happening nationwide to a lot of people and that Southwest is doing little or nothing to address the issue. They are nor at all acting on my numerous requests for specifics. I have contacted them several times. Their customer service folks are programmed to put you off when points are stolen, I am told. This is unacceptable, even though they have all the specifics on the individual who hacke my account. Eveeryone need beware. Points do not appear to be safe, and when stolen, Sotuhwest is looking th other way, it appears. Not good at all.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Stolen Points from Southwest Website

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rebellod wrote:

I had my rapid reward account hacked. Over 79,000 points were stolen. Southwest is giving me the run around on restoring my points. I am hearing that this is happening nationwide to a lot of people and that Southwest is doing little or nothing to address the issue. They are nor at all acting on my numerous requests for specifics. I have contacted them several times. Their customer service folks are programmed to put you off when points are stolen, I am told. This is unacceptable, even though they have all the specifics on the individual who hacke my account. Eveeryone need beware. Points do not appear to be safe, and when stolen, Sotuhwest is looking th other way, it appears. Not good at all.

Is this something you can file a police report? The value of the points is > $1,000.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@rebellod

I am sorry to hear about that, unfortunately, there is nothing that the Southwest can help you, but if I may suggest that you can contact Gary Kelly or Lindsey at Southwest corporate office on Dallas, TX at 2702 Love Field Dr, Dallas, TX  75233 (tel) 214-792-4000. 

Just write them and explain this of your sitituations. OK?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Was there an indication the points were used or transferred? Additionally, are you certain you had earning activity within the last 24 months which is required to keep your points active?

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Was there an indication the points were used or transferred? Additionally, are you certain you had earning activity within the last 24 months which is required to keep your points active?

--TheMiddleSeat

Good point there, middleseat. If the points were used or transferred, Southwest knows who they were transferred to or used by. If there was no account earning activity for more than 24 months, the points just evaporate into thin air.

Perhaps the person who asked the question should look at his account to determine the date of last activity to determine whether or not the points just expired.

hemry27
Explorer C

Im going through this now. 20,000 gone. I was told it was used to book a flight from Columbus to Baltmore. Why cant SW pull the flight manifest to see who used the 20,000 and challenge this person? OR, why cant SW just pull the band aid off and tell me theyre not going to do anything....instead of telling me "we're still investigating" for the 3rd time? Im thinking of filing a police report with Columbus PD and have them pull the manifest and question passengers? Perhaps a class action suit against SW regarding their lackluster cyber security of THEIR customer's information should be initiated????!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@hemry27,

There's no denying this is a frustrating situation. I'm sorry you're having to go through it. Our Customer Relations Department and Rapid Rewards Team do have to follow a protocol when investigation complaints of this nature, and it can take time. Nevertheless, we understand it is difficult. I encourage you to stay in touch with the Representatives who are working on your Service Request, and I hope they are able to arrive at a resolution quickly. 

jfharris86
Explorer C

Yea looks like im joining the bandwagon on this one. Woke up on the 7/22/19 and had an email telling me changes were made to my Southwest account. Roughly 120,000 points gone and used on the rapids rewards shopping page. I'm assuming for gift cards or something like that. I called not even 3 hours after the points were used and was told they couldn't cancel it. Whoever hacked my account went as far as changing my email address and security questions. I'm assuming he changed the email address so the e-gift cards would go to him. 

First I was told it would take 10 to 30 days to look into, just called back today and was told, sorry they are very busy, it could take 30 to 60 days and no update on if I'd get my points back. She basically said lets see what the team discovers and then we can talk about that. Very frustrating situation. On the plus I did learn that you can call and put a security word on the account to make it harder for people to hack your account, would have been nice to see this advertised while signing up for the account. I'm like 3 or 4 flights from A List Preferred and got the companion pass back in May. I love Southwest but 2 months to investigate fraud, no wonder no one gets caught.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jfharris86 wrote:

Yea looks like im joining the bandwagon on this one. Woke up on the 7/22/19 and had an email telling me changes were made to my Southwest account. Roughly 120,000 points gone and used on the rapids rewards shopping page. I'm assuming for gift cards or something like that. I called not even 3 hours after the points were used and was told they couldn't cancel it. Whoever hacked my account went as far as changing my email address and security questions. I'm assuming he changed the email address so the e-gift cards would go to him. 

First I was told it would take 10 to 30 days to look into, just called back today and was told, sorry they are very busy, it could take 30 to 60 days and no update on if I'd get my points back. She basically said lets see what the team discovers and then we can talk about that. Very frustrating situation. On the plus I did learn that you can call and put a security word on the account to make it harder for people to hack your account, would have been nice to see this advertised while signing up for the account. I'm like 3 or 4 flights from A List Preferred and got the companion pass back in May. I love Southwest but 2 months to investigate fraud, no wonder no one gets caught.

Unfortunately, Southwest's account security is somewhat lax by industry standards -- no two-factor authentication, no address/name checking on 3rd party purchase access, ease of changing personal info. So it represents an easy target for hackers. The best thing you can do to protect yourself is have a strong password. And (apparently, as it isn't published) add a security word to telephone access on your account, for what that's worth.

The good news is that generally, once Southwest verifies that the points were used by an unauthorized person, they refund them to your account. This process can unfortunately take some time.