Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stroller, carseat and booster seats

Khofer
Explorer C

We will be flying with 4 yo twins and a 4 week old newborn... so we will have a stroller and carseat that I plan to check at the gate. But since we plan to rent a car- we will need to bring 2 booster seats and a car seat base for baby's infant seat. This is our first time flying w the kids- so I have zero idea- can the 2 backless boosters and 1 carseat base fit inside one of the bags you can purchase/buy ahead of time to check at the check in counter (as to not have to carry it through the airport?) 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Stroller, carseat and booster seats

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If you have it at your airport and time is available, I recommend curbside check in for the kid stuff...don't take it through the airport at all.

I can't say for sure what would fit - the bag is pretty roomy though, we had stroller and car seat stuffed into one bag. If the boosters are the same as what my nephews have then definitely yes. Maybe you can post a link to the product so we're sure.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Khofer
Explorer C

Thank you! I wasn't sure if Southwest had curbside check in- that would be ideal, for sure! We haven't transitioned ours to booster seats yet, but since we're renting an SUV, thought we might be able to get all 3 across that way with something like this... booster seat from walmart ... they fit the size requirements for the kids, so for just the trip I think it should work fine until we fully transition them to boosters. 

But I saw the bags are $17 from SW, so I was hoping to either purchase one ahead for less- and hoping I can get away w putting the two small boosters and the carseat base all in one bag- less to carry and less to buy! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Khoferwrote:

Thank you! I wasn't sure if Southwest had curbside check in- that would be ideal, for sure! We haven't transitioned ours to booster seats yet, but since we're renting an SUV, thought we might be able to get all 3 across that way with something like this... booster seat from walmart ... they fit the size requirements for the kids, so for just the trip I think it should work fine until we fully transition them to boosters. 

But I saw the bags are $17 from SW, so I was hoping to either purchase one ahead for less- and hoping I can get away w putting the two small boosters and the carseat base all in one bag- less to carry and less to buy! 

You can purchase your own bags for the items, you don't have to use the Southwest ones. From the description I think it all would fit in one SW bag, or you can look for your own bag that would hold everything.

Shopaddict88
Explorer A

Yes the car seats and boosters are all checked in free on any airline and don’t count as luggage.  You can check them in at the counter and don’t have to take to the gate.  

Same with stroller.  You don’t need to put them in a bag but you can put the car seat in the car seat bag if you have one. Even boosters can be checked in with no bag. 

We have  been flying with our two kids since her first daughter was 3 months old, countless flights since then, she is now 11 years old! 

Hope this helps!

Khofer
Explorer C

It does help! Thank you! I just thought about bringing the stroller through the airport to help w putting the kids things in (snacks/cups/diaper bag, etc.) That's awesome to know you don't have to use a bag. I just thought it'd help keep things a little cleaner. Do you know if you can put the stroller in a large like garbage bag or something at the gate check? This is all new gear for new baby, otherwise I wouldn't care, lol! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

We do usually gate check the stroller and use it through the airport, but curbside everything else.

I have seen boosters at MDW in the unclaimed section without any bag on them. That's probably fine - for the car seat and stroller we wanted the bag to protect them from scuffing/soiling. A distinctive bag also helps when deplaning and the bag isn't brought up for gate check yet and the captain or first officer offers to grab it - grab the blue bag!

A couple of additional tips:

1. If you are transfering flights you can have the stroller gate checked to the connection or to the final destination. Verify this, sometimes the stickers get printed out for the final when you are expecting it to be the intermediate, and vice versa would be worse.
  2. Get the stroller/bag with gate check stickers in advance of boarding, you don't want to have the gate agent call family boarding and still be zipping things up and getting your tags.
  3. Curbside attenant will need your age verification for any <2 y.o. lap babies.
  4. If your lap child is not in your lap when the FA is making the final count at the end of boarding, let them know that you have a lap child so they don't count them and delay takeoff. If the child is in your lap they be counted.
  5. You can search about milk...there are quite a few other tips on the community about liquids for babies.