Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stroller in a suitcase

LittleBrother
Explorer C

We're flying with our BabyJogger City Select stroller setup as a double. The stroller was rather expensive and breaks down into a bunch of pieces. The bags I've seen for strollers offer no protection and I'm concerned the stroller would have some plastic part break. I have a large suitcase I can fit the stroller in when it is broken down. Anyone know if I pack the stroller, and only the stroller, in a suitcase if I can still check it for free? Not doing a gate check, this would be checked at the counter before security.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Stroller in a suitcase

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Sure you can. The rule is that the combined lengh + width _ depth of the suitcase would need to be no more that 61 inches, and weigh no more than 50 pound. If more than 61 inches or more than 50 pounds there would be a charge.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@dfwskier wrote:

Sure you can. The rule is that the combined lengh + width _ depth of the suitcase would need to be no more that 61 inches, and weigh no more than 50 pound. If more than 61 inches or more than 50 pounds there would be a charge.

Just to clarify - you always get the two checked pieces (within the size and weight as mentioned by @dfwskier) and then you get additional allowance for two baby gear items per child beyond that.

It's possible you might have to open the suitcase to demonstrate that it is full of baby gear, but otherwise I wouldn't expect a problem. It will be easier this way for the ramp as well as yourself compared to the blue bags. Don't put anything else in the suitcase if you are using this as an additional free baby gear item. Do whatever you want if this fits in your two bags per person allowance. 

If your kids are ticketed then they also get the two bag allowance, and I think whether ticketed or lap children they would get the two items of baby gear as well...so a lot of ways for it to be included without an extra fee.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@LittleBrother wrote:

We're flying with our BabyJogger City Select stroller setup as a double. The stroller was rather expensive and breaks down into a bunch of pieces. The bags I've seen for strollers offer no protection and I'm concerned the stroller would have some plastic part break. I have a large suitcase I can fit the stroller in when it is broken down. Anyone know if I pack the stroller, and only the stroller, in a suitcase if I can still check it for free? Not doing a gate check, this would be checked at the counter before security.

I see now that you had already clarified "only the stroller" - the one other suggestion I have is that when performing a similar maneuver I like to drop mine at curbside checkin before parking the car, if you are traveling in your own vehicle and parking at or near the airport and you have enough time.

Totally agreed that the blue bags are mainly for scuff protection and to provide an obvious handle and place to tag the item.

Otherwise the item will have to be durable to go in without a proper case.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.