Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stuck in D.C.

dswinke
Explorer C

What is going on in Washington DC airport?  I am on my first business trip and scheduled to fly home to Houston tonight.  I received an email from SWA that my flight has been cancelled and I can reschedule anytime thru August 28th.  When I checked for another flight to get home, there was NOTHING available for 5 days!  

I have flown only SWA (inside the USA) and multiple times every year (mom traveled for a living) since I was a little kid.  I'm not sure what to do, my hotel kicks me out at the end of today.  I would like to think it is not SWA's doing but rather something is going on at this airport....anyone hear anything?  Help me NOT get pissed with SWA, I have a lot of years and lots of future travel.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Stuck in D.C.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello, at the monent I see two seats on 183 conecting in Dallas with 63 out of DCA departing at 6:55 tonight. There seems to be plenty of DCA availability tomorrow afternoon/evening.

IAD shows 1 seat on the 4:55 this afternoon connecting in ATL, and lots of availability tomorrow.

BWI shows one seat at 7:25 tonight connecting in STL and availabiliuty on several flight tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I'd suggest that you call SW and try to get on one of the flights mentioned above. I don't work for SW, so I can't do that for you.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Hello, at the monent I see two seats on 183 conecting in Dallas with 63 out of DCA departing at 6:55 tonight. There seems to be plenty of DCA availability tomorrow afternoon/evening.

IAD shows 1 seat on the 4:55 this afternoon connecting in ATL, and lots of availability tomorrow.

BWI shows one seat at 7:25 tonight connecting in STL and availabiliuty on several flight tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I'd suggest that you call SW and try to get on one of the flights mentioned above. I don't work for SW, so I can't do that for you.

Just to clarify @dswinke @dfwskier - were you originally looking only at direct flights?

One of Southwest's advantages is the flow of aircraft accross the country so that you can reach a destination from more than one route. 

If you are traveling light for business it won't be any trouble to transfer planes in ATL (southwest is all on one section of Concourse C) or BNA (also all down one concourse). Dallas I don't have the layout down but the airport is fairly compact as well...hopefully you were able to catch one of these options and are on your way home already.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

Just to clarify @dswinke @dfwskier - were you originally looking only at direct flights?

One of Southwest's advantages is the flow of aircraft accross the country so that you can reach a destination from more than one route. 

If you are traveling light for business it won't be any trouble to transfer planes in ATL (southwest is all on one section of Concourse C) or BNA (also all down one concourse). Dallas I don't have the layout down but the airport is fairly compact as well...hopefully you were able to catch one of these options and are on your way home already.

Actually, after the OP said there was no DC/Houston availability for the next 5 days, I was just looking at whether there was availability out of all three DC area airports, found some today, and found lots more tomorrow.

bec102896
Aviator A

@dswinke

Were you able to get on another flight? 

If they rebooked you for several days out I would call back in case an earlier flight opened up from someone else canceling 

I would also recommend trying standby at the airport if you didn't make it yet as people miss connections all the time and you could possibly take that seat if there aren't a ton of people ahead of you on the list 

hope you made it!

Blake