Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

THANK YOU Southwest for being a BAD EXAMPLE of how a company should behave in a global pandemic

haveaheart
Explorer A

NO mercy, no extension of travel funds. We are in a state of emergency and they have yet to make any extensions on our travel funds. Just because we do not want to risk our health and the well being and health of our loved ones in this pandemic doesn't mean we should be penalized for it. Wish someone from southwest would understand that we have already paid for the service of having 1 year travel funds. WE paid for it when we choose southwest. They are acting like they are doing us a favor by even offering it, well that is how they got me as a customer because there cheaper airlines out there but I choose to pay for the flexibility. They need to honor what they promised. They need to step up and be a good example because right now they are far from. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: THANK YOU Southwest for being a BAD EXAMPLE of how a company should behave in a global pandemic

jksobonya
Aviator A

"They need to honor what they promised."

What is Southwest not honoring? No other airline offers travel funds like Southwest does, and no other airline lets you change your cancel your flight *completely for free* like Southwest does. Southwest has been ahead of the game for years and the other airlines are only following what Southwest already does thanks to this weeks-old pandemic. 

Regarding travel funds use, they are good for one year from the date of ticket purchase (not when you fly). If your travel funds expire this month, this means you originally made your flight purchase in March of 2019. You have had a year to fly. That is their policy, it has not changed, so I fail to see what they are not honoring. They are doing exactly as promised. If Southwest decides to be even more flexible with their travel fund policies, an announcement will be made.

--Jessica

Re: THANK YOU Southwest for being a BAD EXAMPLE of how a company should behave in a global pandemic

haveaheart
Explorer A

they are not honoring the 1 year policy if that year is cut short by us being responsible citizens and not flying during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. Also, they don't recognize we are hard working americans and a lot of us saved up our travel funds for spring break. No one could predict that due to a global pandemic we wouldn't be able to use what we were saving funds for. Although some people could have traveled earlier, maybe they were saving up for spring break? We all have jobs, we all work. We have limited times of the year we can use our travel funds, and when those critical times are clouded by a GLOBAL EMERGENCY, i don't think southwest can say "well you had a year". that is a cowardly cop out and ignorant and and insult to all of us who are taking this pandemic seriously. Southwest needs to step up and take this seriously too. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Ok @haveaheart, 9 posts of you screaming about this is plenty for me. Southwest is trying to address immediate needs, non urgent changes like extending travel fund expiration may come later after things calm down.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@haveaheart wrote:

NO mercy, no extension of travel funds. We are in a state of emergency and they have yet to make any extensions on our travel funds. Just because we do not want to risk our life and the lives of our loved ones in this pandemic doesn't mean we should be penalized for it. Wish someone from southwest would understand that we have already paid for the service of having 1 year travel funds. WE paid for it when we choose southwest. They are acting like they are doing us a favor by even offering it, well that is how they got me as a customer because there cheaper airlines out there but I choose to pay for the flexibility. They need to honor what they promised. They need to step up and be a good example because right now they are far from. 

They are honoring what they promised: no fee to change or cancel, and travel funds good for a year from ticket purchase.

Take a deep breath and wait a while. Let the airlines figure out what to do.

All airlines are in panic mode. All passengers are in panic mode. You are not alone .No airline has ever experienced anything like this. This is uncharted territory and the airlines have to figure out how to navigate it.

This is an emergency for Southwest and every other airline, too. If things don't work out right, airlines WILL go bankrupt with a potential for the loss of 100s of thousands of jobs.