Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TRAVEL FUNDS & CORONAVIRUS

megan86a
Explorer C

I called in due to having to cancel my flights out of the country. I had SW credit that needed to be used by 3/30/2020. We booked this Spring Break vacation with our kids using the Travel Funds. The credit did not cover the entire flight cost, so we paid additional dollars to complete our reservation. Today I called in & asked about what would happen with my travel funds if i canceled. I was told that there was NOTHING that could be done except to call in the day after my travel funds originally expired & then they would extend the expiration date MINUS $200 (extension fee) for 6 months. If I don't remember to call in after credit has expired, then I lose it all. Our resort has refunded us our entire amount for our trip already, why can't Southwest work with us on these Travel Funds ???? I am extremely upset and disappointed! I was not asking for a refund for any of it ! We are going to rebook for this summer!!! I just wanted ALL of my travel funds to be extended without penalty since this is beyond our control! I mean this is a pandemic!   

6 REPLIES 6

Re: TRAVEL FUNDS & CORONAVIRUS

nwtx9681
Explorer C

I purchased four tickets to Orlando for trip to Disney during week of March 15 (purchased Nov 21).  As parks were all closed, we had to cancel trip.  I received travel funds, but they expire Nov 21, 2020.  Wanting to reschedule trip for Thanksgiving week, I called and asked if the expiration date could be extended by 7 days (only 7 days).  I was declined and told that no changes were being made to travel fund rules.  Really unfortunate.  The individual I spoke to did say that it is possible that temporary modifications could be made to the policy and to check messages or the website frequently to see if that occurs.  I really hope that Southwest does make some accommodations.  Many good companies are going above and beyond to help consumers through these troubling times, and I hope that Southwest does the same.  I've always considered Southwest to be among the more admirable companies, but their current hardened stance is making me reconsider.  And if small accommodations are not later considered, it will definitely make me consider which airline I will use for future travel.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@megan86a wrote:

I called in due to having to cancel my flights out of the country. I had SW credit that needed to be used by 3/30/2020. We booked this Spring Break vacation with our kids using the Travel Funds. The credit did not cover the entire flight cost, so we paid additional dollars to complete our reservation. Today I called in & asked about what would happen with my travel funds if i canceled. I was told that there was NOTHING that could be done except to call in the day after my travel funds originally expired & then they would extend the expiration date MINUS $200 (extension fee) for 6 months. If I don't remember to call in after credit has expired, then I lose it all. Our resort has refunded us our entire amount for our trip already, why can't Southwest work with us on these Travel Funds ???? I am extremely upset and disappointed! I was not asking for a refund for any of it ! We are going to rebook for this summer!!! I just wanted ALL of my travel funds to be extended without penalty since this is beyond our control! I mean this is a pandemic!   

Hello,

Assuming your travel funds expired on 3/30/20, this means you purchased your flight on 3/20/19. You had up to a year to either go on your current flight or cancel and use the funds on a different flight prior to 3/30/20, which is standard policy for Southwest (no other airline does this, for the record). Currently there are no extensions to travel funds for more than 1 year, although you can pay $100 to extend your travel funds expiration, as you have found. Again, no other airline is as flexible as Southwest already is, and they don't charge fees to change or cancel your flight as well. Other airlines are now waiving their own fees to change/cancel, but Southwest doesn't have to do this because they don't charge fees. 

If Southwest makes any changes to their travel funds policies, it will be announced on the web site.

Thanks,

--Jessica

enfall
Explorer C

I have travel funds that expire in early April.  I would love to travel on the trip I have booked for late March, but because I live in a city with a high number of cases of coronavirus,  it is unlikely that I can travel;  it is clearly against government recommendations already to do so, and I suspect that it will soon be against the law to do so.  Is there any chance that Southwest will extend the use of these funds for a few months after the virus restrictions are lifted?  It is only fair and reasonable to do so, when our local and national governments are advising people to stay at home as much as possible and to avoid any sort of public transportation.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@enfall wrote:

I have travel funds that expire in early April.  I would love to travel on the trip I have booked for late March, but because I live in a city with a high number of cases of coronavirus,  it is unlikely that I can travel;  it is clearly against government recommendations already to do so, and I suspect that it will soon be against the law to do so.  Is there any chance that Southwest will extend the use of these funds for a few months after the virus restrictions are lifted?  It is only fair and reasonable to do so, when our local and national governments are advising people to stay at home as much as possible and to avoid any sort of public transportation.

There is a chance, they haven't announced that yet but right now they don't even know when the extension could be - at least for the time being the policy remains as-is.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

csuplee
Explorer B

I totally agree with everyone who has expiring travel funds.  I have over $1000.00 in travel funds that will be expiring on June 14, 2020.  I was planning on using them this week, but obviously had to cancel.  I called and was told the same scenario.  Southwest needs to re-examine this policy due to the current circumstances and if they  don't budge I will never fly with them again.  All the other airlines are adjusting their policies.  I sent SW an e-mail about this and have never heard back from them.  We all need to be diligent and continue to write, call, e-mail, etc. until they re-visit this.    Take care everyone and let's keep at this until they give in.  I am currently unemployed & certainly  cannot afford to lose this money.

Jackicdn
Explorer C

I have a flight booked for April to the Dominican that l haven’t canceled. I have no plans on traveling there anyway hotel closed for a month.

If l cancel or change flights l only have to May 29 2020 to use my travel funds. I will lose over $1000 for using a $20 voucher for a price drop last May that was sitting in my account. 

I booked my vacation last October therefore l cannot use that date for my end but now l am stuck with May 2020. 

I have received the email today telling me nothing can be done unless l can reschedule for May that is not happening.