Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TSA Precheck with Family

slsenior
Explorer C

If my whole family is booked at the same time, we can all go through TSA precheck using my KTN.  However, my situation is that I need to buy my ticket and the rest of the family will book with points.  Is there a trick that I can use to get us all on the same confirmation number such that we can all go through TSA precheck?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: TSA Precheck with Family

gsking
Aviator C
Solution

No.   Only children 12 and younger can go through Precheck with an adult,   Everyone else needs their own Precheck.

This is  a TSA issue, not SWA.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

And those children 12 and under do not need to be on the same confirmation number so you can book your ticket and they can book theirs.  Any other passenger 13 and older would need their own KTN attached to the reservation.

--TheMiddleSeat

ChristopherMadd
Explorer C
Children ages 12 and younger may use the TSA PreCheck® lane when traveling with a parent or guardian who has the indicator on their boarding pass. Travelers 13 and older who do not have a TSA PreCheck® boarding pass must go through standard security lanes or apply.

sean4linda
Explorer C

Hi all...

Old thread here, but could use some insight if anyone knows the answer.

I just received my KTN and added it to some upcoming reservations, one of which includes my 13-year-old.  

I see on the TSA site where it indicates 12 and under, but it also states:

"Children between the ages of 13 and 17 who will be traveling on the same reservation as an enrolled parent or guardian may also access the TSA PreCheck® lanes, provided the children have the  TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass."

Does anyone happen to know about this provision?  I'm unclear on how a PreCheck designation would make it onto their boarding pass.  

Any insight is appreciated!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@sean4linda wrote:

Hi all...

Old thread here, but could use some insight if anyone knows the answer.

I just received my KTN and added it to some upcoming reservations, one of which includes my 13-year-old.  

I see on the TSA site where it indicates 12 and under, but it also states:

"Children between the ages of 13 and 17 who will be traveling on the same reservation as an enrolled parent or guardian may also access the TSA PreCheck® lanes, provided the children have the  TSA PreCheck® indicator on their boarding pass."

Does anyone happen to know about this provision?  I'm unclear on how a PreCheck designation would make it onto their boarding pass.  

Any insight is appreciated!

A child older than 12 needs to apply for their own KTN via the same process you went through. Unless some very unexpected magic happens, a child age 13 without a KTN will not receive PreCheck.

It is not very clear what is meant by the paragraph you posted. The best I can decipher is that TSA does not want anyone under age 18 going through the PreCheck line without an accompanying adult. You may want to reach out to TSA via one of their social media channels, they were previously very responsive on Twitter. 

--TheMiddleSeat

--TheMiddleSeat

sean4linda
Explorer C

Thanks, TheMiddleSeat.

I touched base with the TSA through FB Messenger.  Responsive, but they didn't really have a good answer either.  They gave me a link to provide feedback!

There's another piece in the FAQ that reads:

"Children 17 and under who will be traveling alone or without a TSA PreCheck®-eligible parent or guardian must apply for TSA PreCheck® to have access to expedited screening." 

So, it's not that they don't want them alone in the PreCheck lane if ages 13-17, they would just need their own KTN.  It's the 13-17 on an eligible parent or guardian reservation that seems to be a void that no one knows much about.

Not worth more effort at this point, just a little puzzling.

Cheers.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@sean4linda Simplest advice I can give you is get anyone age 13+ who may travel with you their own KTN. It's good for 5 years and well worth the initial hassle, even for an infrequent traveler..

--TheMiddleSeat

slsenior
Explorer C

Thank you everybody for your response.  I did get precheck with my entire family before on the same ticket, but I am thinking now that it was just by chance.