Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TSA allowed luggage care needed for disability

RLB
Explorer C

Hello!

I am a very frequent SWA traveller and for the past decade I have needed a wheelchair, I only need it to get through security as I cannot lift above 10 lbs nor bend to take off my shoes. In the past the attendent has always allowed me to keep my wheelchair in order to use it as a carry on luggage cart while in the airport (often for hours). This has changed recently and I find that I need a cart of my own from the moment I check in until I leave the airport. 

The revieews of the traditional luggae carts all mention that they are flimsy or have wheeling issues. My back is so sensitive that these erros would furter injure me. Has anyone found a solution for a similar issue? I have searched online, medical catalogs, luggae sites, disabled sites...

Thanks in advance! I like to be independent and last week was told that the attendent must stay with me for the 3.5 hour layover if I wanted to keep my carryons in the chair!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: TSA allowed luggage care needed for disability

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge or experience with luggage carts, but couldn't you remain seated in the wheelchair after security so you can continue using the wheelchair to carry your bags? Yes, this would probably require the attendant stay with you and you may prefer to be alone, but it seems like it solves the issue regarding carrying bags. 

Would a wheeled carryon bag and a foldable stool also work? I'm unclear as to how you would be able to lift/maneuver any cart or baggage.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: TSA allowed luggage care needed for disability

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge or experience with luggage carts, but couldn't you remain seated in the wheelchair after security so you can continue using the wheelchair to carry your bags? Yes, this would probably require the attendant stay with you and you may prefer to be alone, but it seems like it solves the issue regarding carrying bags. 

Would a wheeled carryon bag and a foldable stool also work? I'm unclear as to how you would be able to lift/maneuver any cart or baggage.

--TheMiddleSeat

I can imagine two scenarios:

1. Someone injures themselves while having a chair on their own - that's no good!
  2. Retrieval of the chairs, or they end up stranded somewhere.

For these two reasons I can see the airport policies evolving to keep an attendant with the chair. If you need the chair, then the attendant will come along with it until you are boarded.

That seems to be how they want to do it? I wouldn't fight that policy unless it was disagreeable in some way. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.