Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Take the heart symbol off

t1a_stevenson
Explorer C

We booked a flight for Honeymoon trip. Could not go because of a positive Covid result. We planned it for later on anniversary. Use trip in one year or loose it. We tried to reschedule and Southwest would not extend for 5 days so we could use it on our anniversary date. 5 days. They said we could let it expire and then loose 100 dollars per ticket and get an extension. WHAT. Let me pay it now so we can go on our anniversary. NOPE. Its policy sir. Well your policy just lost a customer that bragged about Southwest. I will also be cancelling my card. Take the heart symbol off your logo because its definitely not there anymore. So sad. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Take the heart symbol off

gsking
Aviator C

Huh?   The one year expiration has never changed.   Why do you think things have gotten worse?  No one has ever been able to rebook for their next anniversary. 

Oh,  and the word is "lose".  

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry that you are disappointed.

The fact of the matter is you bought a non-refundable ticket. There are rules tied to that ticket. One of them is that funds tied to them expire one year after the issue date. There is not (*) and another one farther down that explains *except in case of (insert reason here)."

There are no exceptions.  YOU agreed to that when you bought the ticket.

At least SW lets you use a good part of what you paid for your ticket after you pay the $100 fee. That's better than any other airline in North America. With every other airline that money is gone - ALL OF IT.

If you want flexibility, next time but a refundable ticket.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@t1a_stevenson wrote:

They said we could let it expire and then loose 100 dollars per ticket and get an extension. WHAT. Let me pay it now so we can go on our anniversary. NOPE. Its policy sir.  . 

Well, do plan to lose $100 to keep the rest, or do you plan to do nothing and lose it all?

I guess the other option is move up your travel date and keep it all. Have you thought of that??

Those are your options.

Take the heart symbol off

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Just like you, nor SWA, could predict the pandemic that started all of this off, nor could you, nor SWA, predict you were going to test positive.  I'm not going to blame you or try to shame you by saying anything like if you would have been more cautious, there are many who stayed cautious and still got it.  I hope that you have no ill condition due to this. (or whoever got a positive test)  But I understand your issue is why can't SWA give you a break for being 5 days late.  I think they are just following a laid-out policy that has unfortunately gotten more people than just you.  But here is a thought, try filing your taxes on April 20th and asking the IRS not to penalize you because it's still so close to the 15th, or to try and tell a judge you only missed your court date by 5 days, so could you take that bench warrant off of me?  You see where I'm going with this.  When you buy a ticket you also have a contract that you abide by the restrictions tied to that ticket.  I'm no your side honestly, it's COVID, it's a crazy time and nothing has been anything normal, most of all flying.  Happy Anniversary, I wish it could have been a more pleasant one in terms of flying.