Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Taveling with golf clubs

dfwskier
Aviator A

It appears that the weight limit applies to golf clubs, but the 62 inch limit does not.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Travel-Policies/Golf-club/m-p/114468/highlight/true#M14809

zjohnw
Explorer C

I was just charged $125 for golf clubs in a hard case. The counter person measured height + width + length. ~78"

I have been traveling with same case since the 80's and have never been charged. Always keep it under 50lbs. I'll start driving if this is case

jonfraun
Explorer C

This message is in response to the previous chain.  I am in the same situation as Jim, I cannot seem to get clarity on this topic online or over phone.  This thread states that weight is the limitation, not size.  Is there a way to get my reservation noted as well so that there is not confict regarding the interpertation at the airport?

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Apologies for the confusion, @jonfraun. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you with that here, but I recommend you Contact Customer Relations for assistance. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Nicole
Community Manager

Cuatics
Explorer C

Returning to San Diego from Oahu with my clubs.  Lady at counter asks what’s in the bag, mind you it’s about 30 pounds.   I said my clubs, golf shoes, jacket, range finder, the club bag support rod to keep my golf bag from being bent out of shape during transport.  She said those are not allowed.   Only clubs, golf ball and “that small stick thing” allowed, I’m assuming she meant  golf tees.  She made me take everything “not allowed” which covers the shoes, jacket, range finder, support rod out.  I said these are all golf related and I’m not even overweight.  She was adamant and said no.,   I took everything out but the rod. I told her I got everything.  I can’t take that rod though TSA check!  Really Southwest

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry, but I think she was full of beans.  

Anecdotally, snowboarders can pack anything in their snowboard bags (also free if under 50 pounds) boots, gloves, jackets, pants, goggles, socks, knee braces, hats, etc. --Any and everything that fits. 

I can't imagine the rules would be different for golf bags.

She had no business asking what was in the bag because the only things that can't be in any bags are those things banned by the TSA.