Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Taveling with golf clubs

Cozman
Explorer B

Looking for a real answer to traveling with golf clubs...Continually hear conficting answers....does anyone know the real facts on this ?...because even SW reps dpn't seem to know for sure. Talked to 3 different reps and get 3 different answers.

Want to take my golf clubs on vacation. I see no mention as to the size of the hard or soft case to transport them in. Only the wright is mentioned. Some say weight is the only issue, has to be under 50 lbs or there will be a charge for over weight. Others say the size also matters, and some say there is a size exemption for golf clubs...So which is it ? Would be impossible to find a hard case for a golf clubs and bag under 62 total inches.

No mention of size limitation here for golf clubs...Most everything else does mention size limitations.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_lug...

"Golf bag in hard-sided golf bag carrying case provided by Passenger, including clubs, balls, and shoes. Hooded golf bags or golf bags in a soft-sided carrying case provided by the Passenger will be subject to limited release.
Note: Overweight charges will apply to golf bags exceeding 50 pounds"

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Taveling with golf clubs

dfwskier
Aviator A

Size limits do not apply to things like skis, snowboards and golf clubs --weight limits do.

For example, almost every pair of ski is over 62 inches long. Put them in a case and  height plus width and depth is well in excess of 62 inches.

Cozman
Explorer B

Unfortunately, this is the response I got from a SW rep on Facebook yesterday.

Seems no one from SW has a clue either since I've talked to several people from SW and continually get different answers.

Thanks for reaching out, Jim. Your golf clubs may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If your golf clubs exceed 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

Feel free to follow this link and click on the Sports Equipment tab for more info:
SW Baggae link attached. I hope this information helps. -Lauren

and of course my reply and the SW rep.

So since it's impossible to get a bag and clubs under 62", unless of course I want to pay an extra 150.00 to take them R/T, guess I'll leave them at home. So much for a vacation with golf. Thanks.

Sorry for the disappointment. We look forward to welcoming you aboard. -Lauren

Cozman
Explorer B

Just spoke to the corporate office customer affairs, now being told its discretionary size wise and it all depends on the counter personnel at the airport at check in...

WTF SW Airlines ?

How rediculious....

Cozman
Explorer B
Solution

LOL.....30 seconds ago from a rep on Facebooks SW Page:

We appreciate you reaching back out, Jim. I'm truly sorry that the information you've received regarding checking your golf clubs for your upcoming vacation has lacked consistency. After verifying with the appropriate Team, golf clubs are subject to overweight fees, but not oversize fees, as the blog post you provided mentioned.

Sure wish they'd make this clear and easy to understand without all the back and forth, or even better, informed their employee's of the actual policy.

Cozman
Explorer B
Solution

SW: We appreciate you reaching back out, Jim. I'm truly sorry that the information you've received regarding checking your golf clubs for your upcoming vacation has lacked consistency. After verifying with the appropriate Team, golf clubs are subject to overweight fees, but not oversize fees, as the blog post you provided mentioned. Your feedback about this subject is very appreciated, and it's our hope that we'll be able to retain your future patronage and loyalty. We're confident more favorable circumstances will prevail in the future. -Becca

Jim: LOL...thanks...Would it be possible to get something in writing to this effect so that when I get to the airport, I have something other than words to prove I've been told this ? Like maybe an e-mail from SW to XXX@centurylink.net ?

SW: If you send me your confirmation number, I would be happy to notate it with what we've discussed. -Becca

annlayman1
Explorer C

This message is in response to the previous chain.  I am in the same situation as Jim, I cannot seem to get clarity on this topic online or over phone.  This thread states that weight is the limitation, not size.  Is there a way to get my reservation noted as well so that there is not confict regarding the interpertation at the airport?

Japples
Explorer C

Impossible to get clubs in at under 62"?? Lmao! What are you eight feet tall? My clubs are plus 1/2" and I have a regular size Samsonite hard golf case and it only measures like 57". My clubs have room to spare even with my shoes in case. Don't believe this garbage. 62" is plenty. It's almost like the major airline and luggage manufacturers know what they are doing. Imagine that.

thewheelers
Explorer C

The measurements are LxWxH.  So most cases I'm looking to purchase are 57x12x15 (approx) which totals 84".

krob915
Explorer C

You must have some ultra thin golf clubs I've never heard of. The 62 inches is not just taking in consideration the height of the bag. It also accounts for the width and length. I am having the same issue finding any bag which measures under 62 for the overall dimensions.