Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

The Southwest Promise

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

I want to take a flight next month. (Yeah, I know I'd said I'd drive but it's a long way so...)

If I make my reservation based on The Southwest Promise https://www.southwest.com/promise/?src=SRCH_go_cmp-9967502315_adg-100990692695_ad-437678604187_kwd-9...   But then find that SWA did nothing to enforce the rules in order to keep their promise, should I, and everyone else on the flight that may feel so inclined, demand at the least a full refund?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: The Southwest Promise

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Apologies for this!

Be sure to contact the airline (fastest is usually via social media DMs) to discuss what they can do for you, and how they can improve. Be safe out there!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

what is a, "media DM?"

bec102896
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

what is a, "media DM?"

Reaching out on Twitter or Facebook they have an option for you to send a DM also called private message that way it's not a public message. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ffflyer wrote:

I want to take a flight next month. (Yeah, I know I'd said I'd drive but it's a long way so...)

If I make my reservation based on The Southwest Promise https://www.southwest.com/promise/?src=SRCH_go_cmp-9967502315_adg-100990692695_ad-437678604187_kwd-9...   But then find that SWA did nothing to enforce the rules in order to keep their promise, should I, and everyone else on the flight that may feel so inclined, demand at the least a full refund?

If you bought a ticket to fly from point A to point B, and the airline flies you from point A to point B, then you would not be entitled to a refund. You bought the ticket for transportation and that's what you got.

The experience might make you angry. You might want to fill social media with posts about your experience . You might want to complain to the airline and ask for a voucher to compensate for the broken promise. 

But a refund? No

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Or I might want SWA to live up to their promise. Or face the financial consequences if they fail. 

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry for your disappointment on your recent flight being that this is a customer to customer forum I would Contact Customer Relations as they would be best able to assist you with your complaint. 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ffflyer wrote:

Or I might want SWA to live up to their promise. Or face the financial consequences if they fail. 

If Southwest had promised to pay you if it failed to live up to the promise, then you'd get a payment. It did not do so.

The contract of carriage, which you agreed to when you bought your ticket, mentions no payment for failure to attain the promise. That is the document that, in it's entirety, spells out SW's responsibilities -- and yours too. There's nothing in there about promises.

You could fly another airline, but you'd find the same situation, and on United, Spirit and 

American you could find yourself sitting next to   total strangers since these airlines no longer block middle seats.