Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tickets refunds and vouchers because of covid

delconte
Explorer C

I purchased 4 tickets October 2019 for my family to go to Las Vegas for March madness 2020.as we all know covid hit and is still going strong. I wanted my tickets extended to October 2021. Hoping my husband and I would get our vaccines by than. The scientists and officials said don't travel. All I ask is for southwest  to give me back the 100.00 per ticket and extend the tickets till October 2021. Thank you Michelle Scuglik 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Tickets refunds and vouchers because of covid

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Unfortunately at this time any extension is unlikely.  For several months Southwest did offer the ability to extend travel fund expiration out to September 2022, but based on your request it does not appear you knew about it or took advantage of this opportunity.  If you did not extend and you purchased your tickets in October 2019 then your travel funds already expired in October 2020.  I would suggest you check the value of any funds you might have by going to https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html and entering the confirmation numbers and passenger name.  If the funds are still valid you will see their expiration date.  If the funds do not show up as being valid you can call Southwest Customer Relations within 6 months of expiration (April 2021-ish for you) and request they be converted to LUV vouchers that will expire 6 months later.  The value of your funds will each be reduced by $100 if extended.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

If the funds do not show up as being valid you can call Southwest Customer Relations within 6 months of expiration (April 2021-ish for you) and request they be converted to LUV vouchers that will expire 6 months later.  The value of your funds will each be reduced by $100 if extended.

Adding to the above, you must do what themiddleseat suggested within 6 months of the date your travel funds expired. The expiration date would have been one year from the date you bought the tickets, assuming you paid cash. If you used travel funds, the rules are different.

You'll be eligible for a voucher  that is good for 6 months from the date of issue. Vouchers may be used to buy tickets for anyone, while travel funds are only good for use by the traveler names on the ticket.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@delconte wrote:

I purchased 4 tickets October 2019 for my family to go to Las Vegas for March madness 2020.as we all know covid hit and is still going strong. I wanted my tickets extended to October 2021. Hoping my husband and I would get our vaccines by than. The scientists and officials said don't travel. All I ask is for southwest  to give me back the 100.00 per ticket and extend the tickets till October 2021. Thank you Michelle Scuglik 

You mentioned "$100 per ticket" -- was that by chance from EarlyBird Check-In purchase that wasn't refunded?

If so, you may want to reach out to Customer Relations (not the regular phone line number -- see below) and ask if there's anything that they can do for you. Previously, they had been offering some customers Rapid Rewards points or vouchers to help offset the non-refundable EBCI fees. Hope this helps -- good luck!

Contact Customer Relations