Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Time frame for re-booking non-refundable flight

Hev
Explorer C

I had to cancel a Wanna Get Away non refundable flight.  I understand I can use these funds for up to a year on another flight.  My question is, when does the “year” take effect?  The date I purchased the original tickets or the date of the original flight?  Ie: I purchased the tix in March of 2018 for a May flight.  Do I have to have to actually fly by March 2019 or do I just have to re-book a flight by March 2019 (for a flight in May 2019?).  Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Time frame for re-booking non-refundable flight

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

One year from the date of purchase, not the flight date.  Travel must be completed one year from purchase date. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If you are unsure of when that is, you can check the expiration here:

https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Eborden12
Explorer C

So......I recently tried to use funds from a cancelled, non-refundable ticket. The original purchase date was September 7, 2018. I tried to book and use the $121 for a flight on September 12, 2019. I tried this on May 12, 2019! The agent told my I couldn’t use those funds to book my flight......is that fair? I’m pretty upset by these policies. Yes I know that there are “no cancellation fees” on SW, but I’m poised to lose $121. That to me is my cancellation fee!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Eborden12 wrote:

So......I recently tried to use funds from a cancelled, non-refundable ticket. The original purchase date was September 7, 2018. I tried to book and use the $121 for a flight on September 12, 2019. I tried this on May 12, 2019! The agent told my I couldn’t use those funds to book my flight......is that fair? I’m pretty upset by these policies. Yes I know that there are “no cancellation fees” on SW, but I’m poised to lose $121. That to me is my cancellation fee!

Two thoughts from a fellow Southwest customer:

1. As @franktravel mentioned you need to complete your travel within one year of the original ticketing date.  Are you able to travel a week earlier?
  2. "...is that fair?" <---- in my personal *opinion* yes, I think the Southwest policy for Wanna Get Away fares is fair.  Why?  Because they let you change on a non-refundable ticket without assessing a change fee.  And it's part of the reason I do business with Southwest.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

@Eborden12 wrote:

Two thoughts from a fellow Southwest customer:

1. As @franktravel mentioned you need to complete your travel within one year of the original ticketing date.  Are you able to travel a week earlier?
  2. "...is that fair?" <---- in my personal *opinion* yes, I think the Southwest policy for Wanna Get Away fares is fair.  Why?  Because they let you change on a non-refundable ticket without assessing a change fee.  And it's part of the reason I do business with Southwest.

Adding to what SWDigits said, pretty much every airline handles this inthe same way: you MUST complete travel by one year from the date of purchase. The difference is that SW let's you use the full value of your travel funds while other airlines charge a fee (somewhere around $200) for the privilege of using your travel funds.