Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tobacco on board

Sailgirl
Explorer C

Monday, 1/24 I was on flight 1158 MCI to LAX.  The flight was not full, but a passenger did sit in the middle seat between myself and my work college.  We noticed that the passenger was carrying a clear water bottle with a fluid that was definetly not water (it was brown) and a Perrier bottle.  Throughout the flight the passenger was spitting into the clear bottle - with was DISGUSTING!!! About mid-flight he got up to go to the rest room, must have spit out all of the tobacco, sat down and put more tabacco in his mouth.  He continued to spit into the clear water bottle throughout the flight.  Isn't this not allowed on a flight?  IT WAS DISGUSTING - I was nauseated the entire time. What can be done to avoid this type of experience????  Should the flight attendent have told the passenger that tobacco (in all forms) is not allowed on an airplane?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Tobacco on board

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

That makes my skin crawl!  It is so gross, and you can smell it when someone close to you is dipping.

I always recommend that you tell the flight attendant.  Never assume they are aware.  I cannot tell you how many times I have heard flight attendants say, "I wish you had told me; I would have done something about that."

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Sailgirl wrote:

Should the flight attendent have told the passenger that tobacco (in all forms) is not allowed on an airplane?

Disgusting?  Yes, but there's no rule (that I can find) prohibiting chewing tobacco, just cigarettes.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@Sailgirl wrote:

Should the flight attendent have told the passenger that tobacco (in all forms) is not allowed on an airplane?

Disgusting?  Yes, but there's no rule (that I can find) prohibiting chewing tobacco, just cigarettes.

--TheMiddleSeat

I think this came up once before and it wasn't specifically prohibited that any of us could find.

If the flight was lightly occupied then I would recommend to check with the FA about relocating. You could also mention to the gentleman to swap seats so he's on the window and  you and your co-worker wouldn't have that between you.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.