Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Transfer ticket policy

blackshirtdoc
Explorer C

I want to know who I can talk to about why a ticket can't be transferred...besides a "customer service" representative that says "it's our policy".  Ok, no kidding, just like every other airline I'm sure, but I want to know why.   

They're basically taking advantage of the very people/consumers that keep them in business.  I have a private medical practice in Omaha...if I adopted the same policy I guess it would be ok to charge a patient for a visit they had to reschedule/cancel and then charge them again for the actual visit they were able to attend.  It's ridiculous.

My wife purchased a ticket for my daughter, who is a minor, and while making the reservation accidentally typed in her name instead of my daughter's.  So it's legitimately our/her error, but how hard would it be for the CS rep to delete my wife's demographic information and type in my daughter's?  What would it take...all of 45-60 seconds.  Instead, we get charged an additional $270 dollars to book the same exact flight with my daughter's info.

I know the business practice is great for them...according to USA Today report from 2012 the airline industry collected 2.5B dollars in ticket change fees.  Brutal.  I know this is probably just a vent type post but I would love to sit down/talk with someone at SWA to get a logically explanation of why the policy is what it is.  I just want them to tell me the truth...that it's all about money regardless of how much it hurts the actual consumer.  I'm all for capitalism...but I have a hard time with this way of making a buck!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Transfer ticket policy

dfwskier
Aviator A

@blackshirtdoc wrote:

I want to know who I can talk to about why a ticket can't be transferred...besides a "customer service" representative that says "it's our policy".  Ok, no kidding, just like every other airline I'm sure, but I want to know why.   

Well, I hate to say you are right, but every other airlines does treat the situation the same way that Southwest does.

They're basically taking advantage of the very people/consumers that keep them in business.  I have a private medical practice in Omaha...if I adopted the same policy I guess it would be ok to charge a patient for a visit they had to reschedule/cancel and then charge them again for the actual visit they were able to attend.  It's ridiculous.

My wife purchased a ticket for my daughter, who is a minor, and while making the reservation accidentally typed in her name instead of my daughter's.  So it's legitimately our/her error, but how hard would it be for the CS rep to delete my wife's demographic information and type in my daughter's?  What would it take...all of 45-60 seconds.  Instead, we get charged an additional $270 dollars to book the same exact flight with my daughter's info.

You may be honest about what happened, but what about the tens of thousands (or more) that would game the system. Its called "non-refundable/non changeable" so people can't game the system. IMO the policy is in place to prevent people from gaming the system.

If you want flexibility,  you could buy  a refundable ticket.

I know the business practice is great for them...according to USA Today report from 2012 the airline industry collected 2.5B dollars in ticket change fees.  Brutal. 

Yeah it is brutal, but since Southwest has never charged change fees, that statistic  is irrelevant.

I know this is probably

just a vent type post but I would love to sit down/talk with someone at SWA to get a logically explanation of why the policy is what it is.  I just want them to tell me the truth...that it's all about money regardless of how much it hurts the actual consumer.  I'm all for capitalism...but I have a hard time with this way of making a buck!

If you want to discuss with someone, I'd suggest that you contact SW Customer Relations:

You can reach Customer Relations by:

Phone: (855) 234-4654

Twitter: @SouthwestAir

Facebook: @SouthwestAir

Email  https://support.southwest.com/email-us/s/

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

1. Buy refundable tickets if you want flexibility.

2. You have 24 hours after purchase to cancel and get a complete refund for any reason.  Perhaps best to check all the details such as passenger name within 24 hours of booking.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you'd have reviewed the flight confirmation email as soon as you got it you'd have been able to cancel for a full refund, and then rebook using the correct name.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

The good news is that at least you can keep the funds in your wife's name for later use. I know this is not the solution you are looking for, but at least there is the potential for that money not to be wasted.

Cancel the original ticket, keep the funds for your wife. Rebook correctly for your daughter.

-A List, Companion Pass holder