Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Transport Chair and cane Storage

kjgibbs
Explorer C

We will be flying out of Louisville to Denver, direct flight. My husband does not require a full time wheelchair, but will be using a transport chair to cover long distances (like the aiport). He can still walk, but due to his osteoarthritis and osteonecrosis it causes a great deal of pain.   We will be bringing a transport chair and a cane.  His transport chair is just like a 'light' wheelchair. 

My questions are - can we use this right upto the gate/will they store it on the plane.and if not, where do I have to drop it off at? Also, what of his cane? Does it go in the overhead bin once he sits down?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Transport Chair and cane Storage

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@kjgibbs,

The cane will definitely fit in the overhead bin.  I have seen people hang on to a cane until bin space is almost full and then it can slide in on top of (most) bags.  If it goes into an empty bin first, people might not see it, then a big bag tries to get shoved in and they don’t see the cane, so they keep shoving.  Going later will help prevent bending or breaking.

Canes are definitely one of those “items that may have shifted during flight” so watch out when opening the bin at the end of the flight.  It would be smart-kind to warn people who are in the rows under that bin before take-off.  If he sits in the front row, the cane will definitely be behind him in the bins.  A later row might possibly be better so he can use the seat in front of him for leverage in lifting himself out of his seat upon landing once that seat has vacated.  (You all will have to determine that one yourselves based upon his mobility.). The arm rests usually lift so if he wants to wait to get up until the plane empties, he might be able to rotate into the aisle to let the other passenger out who will be sitting in the row with you two. 

I am not certain about the transport chair but what you describe sounds right.  You can call customer service (1-800-435-9792 aka 1-800-I-FLY-SWA) ahead of time to verify (but be aware that hold times will be longer today because of Tropical Storm Gordon).  Be sure to let the gate agent know your needs upon arrival.  Safe travels and have a fun trip!

kjgibbs
Explorer C

Thank you so much! 

outwest
Explorer C
Solution

I realize it's been awhile since your post, but just in case you haven't flown yet, and for other readers, the transport chair would be gate checked.

How this works: you go to the baggage check-in counter and let them know that you need to do a gate check.  They will provide you with the proper paperwork for it.

Then, you use the transport chair all the way up to the gate.  At the gate counter, you will check in with them and they will label it for you with a bag check label.  You can then use it up to the plane's door and the crew will load it from there into the belly of the plane.  When you arrive at your destination, they will unload it and have it waiting for you at the door of the plane. 

Note: it will take them a bit to get it unloaded at the destination, so there's no need to hurry when you arrive. Take your time. 🙂

Happy travels!