Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Credits Expiring Sept 8th

caliwes
Explorer C

I have Travel credits for two people for two different one way trips (so 4 total credits).  The firs two credits expired Sept 1st and with the new policy they were extended out till 2022.  The other two credits expired Sept 8th(One freaking day after they policy).  

I read on this board that maybe I can buy another ticket for each of those credits and then just cancel the tickets and the credits will then be extended to the 2022 expiration date.  Is that correct and have you done it to verify it?

Its just too much right now to travel before the Sept 8th date because I don't want to get quarantined for two weeks by chance.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Travel Credits Expiring Sept 8th

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Yes. Use the funds to purchase a new ticket(s). Cancel, and wait a day. Initially the new funds will show the old expiration date, but they'll update overnight to the September 7, 2022 expiration.

caliwes
Explorer C

It worked!!!! Thanks a ton.....now I have 2 years to use the credits and not have to stress about it anymore.

Rosymgm
Explorer C

Can I trust that southwest will give me more expiration time on my credits? I live in Az and I have a reservation that the credits are due on September 30 at Tx. As you know AZ and TX are the states with the most covid and many of the plans are canceled until October. I do not want to lose my credits I would like to use them in the not too distant future.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Rosymgm wrote:

Can I trust that southwest will give me more expiration time on my credits? I live in Az and I have a reservation that the credits are due on September 30 at Tx. As you know AZ and TX are the states with the most covid and many of the plans are canceled until October. I do not want to lose my credits I would like to use them in the not too distant future.

I'd encourage you to read this entire thread. Basically any ticket cancelled (travel fund created) between 3/1/20 and 9/7/20 will result in a travel fund that expires on 9/7/22.