Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Fund Problem - No Sept 7, 2022 Date

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TrojanFan wrote:

Can't say I follow this logic. How would you feel if you booked a ticket you thought was set to depart at 9am only to arrive at the airport and have them tell you, "Sorry, even though you booked this ticket and it departs in a Pacific Standard time zone, the 9am flight time we told you was really in Central Standard Time and departed two hours ago." Would you find that fair?

Put another way, if Southwest was abundantly clear on the pages describing these policies that the deadline was 12:00pm CST it would be one thing, and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. But they did not, they said Sept 7 was the deadline and I cancelled on Sept 7 (my Gmail cancellation email even says Sept 7 on it!). But whatever... life goes on. Just surprised in this weird situation that customer care wasn't willing to make an exception. Then again, the airline is under a lot of financial pressure, so perhaps it's not surprising they aren't spreading LUV as much as they used to.

I don't think extending a travel fund is as easy as pushing a button, this sounded like a massive programming effort. to get the changes in place. 

It's too bad that it ended up being last minute. And you may or may not have any real impact if you end up using the travel fund anyway. You could ask for a LUV or something, that's easier for the customer service agent to give out.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I feel for you and will do you one better.  Flying from the west coast to the east coast one early morning with 2 connecting flights, (and 3 time zones).  I forgot to factor the final time zone in and went shopping, only to find myself at the gate, guess what, 40 min late.  Do you think due to my not understanding the time zone that I started from and was now flying from, they turned the plane back around for me???? Well, I know you know the story.   In your case, you still have a full year to use your points, I had to buy another ticket because I didn't cancel in the 1 hour before takeoff.  I'd take your situation any day. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

I feel for you and will do you one better.  Flying from the west coast to the east coast one early morning with 2 connecting flights, (and 3 time zones).  I forgot to factor the final time zone in and went shopping, only to find myself at the gate, guess what, 40 min late.  Do you think due to my not understanding the time zone that I started from and was now flying from, they turned the plane back around for me???? Well, I know you know the story.   In your case, you still have a full year to use your points, I had to buy another ticket because I didn't cancel in the 1 hour before takeoff.  I'd take your situation any day. 

Interesting story! I'm surprised the flat tire rule didn't apply. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Southwest normally lets someone who arrives at the airport up to two hours late the option of flying standby at no cost.

Did you just buy a new ticket without inquiring about using the old one?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's not just Southwest -- many (if not most) carriers respect the "flat tire rule."