Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Fund expiration date changed on me

WilDog
Explorer A

Is there a policy that the original expiration date on travel funds can be changed to an earlier date?

Here is my scenario:

I bought a ticket on 11/26/18 for my son.

I canceled that ticket because he holds my companion pass.

I used the travel funds to buy him a ticket to fly on 11/25/19 (because I will be switching companions).

I noticed the flight price on 11/25/19 dropped, so I canceled his flight (that I payed for with his travel funds) with the intent to rebook at the lower price.

The system now says those travel funds expire on 11/24/19 so I can't use them to fly on 11/25/19.

The travel funds orginally expired on 11/26/19 but now the system says 11/24/19.

Does "using them" alter the expiration by a day??

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Travel Fund expiration date changed on me

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

The only way what you described should happen would be if you combine travel funds with different expirations dates. In that case, the new expiration date would be the soonest of the two funds.

I'd suggest you discuss with customer relations (open only on week days). Have the confirmation numbers for both cancelled flights on hand for the discussion. The phone number is 855-234-4654

WilDog
Explorer A

Thanks! I only used one travel fund, from a purchase made on 11/26/18. I’m hoping it’s a glitch in the system. I’ll try calling tomorrow. 

WilDog
Explorer A

I wanted to give an update on this in case anyone else runs into this problem. A customer relations rep told me on the phone that headquarters is aware that the incorrect expiration dates are being assigned to travel funds. She said it’s been happening for months and that there is an open ticket to eventually work on this problem. She could not fix anything over the phone and told me to email again. I still have not been given a resolution so I can rebook the ticket, which is disappointing because the fare dropped again for the birthday sale. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@WilDog wrote:

I wanted to give an update on this in case anyone else runs into this problem. A customer relations rep told me on the phone that headquarters is aware that the incorrect expiration dates are being assigned to travel funds. She said it’s been happening for months and that there is an open ticket to eventually work on this problem. She could not fix anything over the phone and told me to email again. I still have not been given a resolution so I can rebook the ticket, which is disappointing because the fare dropped again for the birthday sale. 

Well, that is disappointing on at least two levels:

1) That the problem apparently applies to more people than just you

2) That the rep was unable to provide a resolution (especially since it ppears to be a known problem)

If it were me, I'd call back to ask to talk with a supervisor. Maybe someone can override the sytem and make the reservation for you.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

Thanks for the update.  @dfwskier had good advice.