Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds Credit as a result of Coronavirus

jillfox101
Explorer C

Hi. We booked a flight on January 2, 2020 for May 16- May 24 2020 and will now most likely need to cancel due to all the traveling restrictions - all out of our control. Given this unique situation, wouldn't it be fair to waive the travel fund expiration dates for those affected by this?  I need to reschedule my trip but can not travel prior to 1/2/21.

Do you know if there is any talk about accomodating customers in this situation?

Also, if we were to rebook, if I reschedule my flight to 1/1-1/9 would I be able to apply my funds since part of the new date includes the expiration date.

Please advise as soon as you possibly can as I need to make decisions. Thank you and be safe!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel Funds Credit as a result of Coronavirus

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As it is now, no you would not be able to use travel funds for any travel after Jan 2.  In your case you could use funds for outbound travel on Jan 1.  But, I've said many times in many other posts, stay tuned.  A lot can change between now and May or even next week so be patient and see if anything changes before making any decisions.  Southwest and other airlines are still doing triage, they need to be able to see how long things are going to be impacted before they can make decisions.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

I agree with what TheMiddleSeat said. I'll take it one step farther.

Why do have to cancel now?  All airlines are talking about canceling flights and moving people to other flights. If either of those happen, you can get a refund from Southwest.

If I were you, I'd just wait.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Thanks for reaching out @jillfox101. I'm happy to share that we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds. For the latest information, click here

Nicole
Community Manager

saltmanone
Explorer B

Even tough SW is extending flight dates they are not doing anything for Group travel. I understand the policy for group travel,however in our group of 10 ,9 are over 70 and have concerns.  Our original flight cost was $316. per person., that same flight today on the days we scheduled fly is 198 round trip. As a group we do not get a lower fare or a voucher credit for the reduction in cost. I understand this part of the policy also. We still want to go in the future and are not looking for a refund just a voucher,even going at the cost we paid for the flight. I am not a travel agent,this was my first time attempting a group trip in my retirement community. I must  say it has been a learning and costly experience for all of us involved..

I am also a RR member but  my RR points will not be used for future flights. I have a flight booked in June which I will cancel and fly another airline.at whatever the cost. 

I think during this world crisis,group purchases should be given the same perks as  a individual purchase. I have vented and still feel a group purchase is pretty close to a type of  discrimination. Look for the group purchase post by a group of young people in a band and because of the crisis or in the same boat. They did a fund raiser to go on this trip. This will stay in there minds as adults and more then likely never fly SW .

Saltmanone

saltmanone
Explorer B

Does the current change to refunds extend to group purchases also?

I sure do hope so .

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi @saltmanone. To cancel or reschedule a Group Reservation, your travel agent or group leader (person who booked) will need to discuss options with the Group Travel Services Desk at 1-800-433-5368  Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to midnight Central time.

If you are requesting a refund for any reason, please follow up the call and cancellation with your request in writing to SouthwestGroupTravelRefunds-DG@wnco.com along with any supporting documentation for our consideration. While our Agents have all hands on deck, we're still experiencing extremely high volumes, so we will be able respond within 5-7 days

Nicole
Community Manager