Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds // Expiration Dates // Need your expertise

285abs
Explorer C

Hi SW Community Members,

I have booked a flight (final leg in mid April) in SW ~$800 and I have used only ~$150 using 3 LUV vouchers, in which one of $18 has an expiration date of May 12, 2021.

Now when I rescheduled this flight ticket from Feb 20th to March 8th, I got a credit back in the form of travel funds of ~$81 per person. Unfortunately you have given an expiration date of May 12, 2021 to use the travel fund 

I cannot make another trip by May 12th. SW is not helping me to extend the expiration date or give LUV vouchers so my family can use it or I can use it to purchase anything on Southwest websites like Car rental, Hotel etc. 

What are the options for using these funds?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Travel Funds // Expiration Dates // Need your expertise

dfwskier
Aviator A

@285abs wrote:

Hi SW Community Members,

I have booked a flight (final leg in mid April) in SW ~$800 and I have used only ~$150 using 3 LUV vouchers, in which one of $18 has an expiration date of May 12, 2021.

Now when I rescheduled this flight ticket from Feb 20th to March 8th, I got a credit back in the form of travel funds of ~$81 per person. Unfortunately you have given an expiration date of May 12, 2021 to use the travel fund 

I cannot make another trip by May 12th. SW is not helping me to extend the expiration date or give LUV vouchers so my family can use it or I can use it to purchase anything on Southwest websites like Car rental, Hotel etc. 

What are the options for using these funds?

What happened to you is what Southwest  tells everyone would happen:

Whenever someone uses a TF to buy a ticket, then any future TF created as a result of that ticket will assume the   expiration date of the  TF that was used to buy the earlier ticket.

I'm afraid your only option would be to contact customer relations to ask for an extension.

It's not certain that you will get one.

Good luck.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

gsking
Aviator C

Sadly, no options.   They are good for travel only.   And extending them after they expire costs $100 each... more than your value. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Doubtful, but if the cost to "upgrade" your ticket from Wanna Get Away to Anytime or Business Select is less than $81 you could switch and earn more Rapid Rewards points for the flight. Business Select would also include an upgraded boarding position.

--TheMiddleSeat