Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds Expiring January 8th, no where to go :(

bmclary
Explorer C

I have about $100 in travel funds set to expire on January 8th because in March I used points instead of my funds to cover the cost of a ticket. (I know stupid now, but I thought I would travel in the summer). After reading through the form and contacting SW it appears I am out of luck as I have no where I need to go so soon. Any suggestions on how to keep the funds?

Also, on some blogs people have said "how could you have missed all the emails telling you to covert them or buy and cancel, etc." I went through my email, I have one email from 4/16/2020 where in the second part of the email it mentions soon I will be able to convert my funds to points. I have no other emails. What am I missing? Was there really emails to some customers telling them to do this?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Travel Funds Expiring January 8th, no where to go :(

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

At this point there's little you can do.  Any extension would wipe out the value of the funds so it's either use it in the next few days or lose it.  I'm in the same boat with some funds that expire Feb 1.

--TheMiddleSeat

rich1954
Adventurer A

Call Southwest the day after they expire and ask them to extend them 6 months. Make sure you have the confirmation number they were issued to.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@bmclary wrote:

Was there really emails to some customers telling them to do this?

Yes. My guess is you are not signed up to receive Southwest e-mails. There are 4 different types of e-mails they send: Click N Save, Rapid Rewards Report, Southwest in a Nutshell, and Rapid Rewards Email Update. You can sign up for these e-mails in your account under "Communications." 

--Jessica