Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds Lost

quinney_la
Explorer C

I was told today that I could not use my airline travel credits to travel on June 23, 2022. Last week, I spoke to 2 customer service representatives who both informed me that I would need to book a flight by May 10, 2022. On May 10, 2022 I went on SouthwestAirlines.com to book a flight from Dallas Love Field to Los Angeles, but was unable to do so because my airline credit expired on May 10, 2022. I was confused…my understanding was I had to book by May 10, 2022 , not book and travel by May 10, 2022. I called customer service and spoke to 2 representative who informed me that I needed to book and travel by May 10, 2022, which I was definitely unable to do at that point, causing me to lose $879 in airline credit. The customer service reps were not accommodating at all and basically said there was nothing they could do about my situation, even though I was trying to book a flight with Southwest Airlines for next month. I am highly disappointed in Southwest Airlines and being misinformed.  This is very devastating to my family and I as we are trying to go on family vacation to Los Angeles for the summer. At a time like this in America, I can not afford to just give away $879 to Southwest Airlines. I am very heartbroken to receive this news and to share it with my family who was looking forward to this vacation. Covid has really put a damper on travel plans and then to know after Covid restrictions have been lifted I cannot travel due to Southwest Airlines is just overwhelming.  I have been a true customer to Southwest Airlines for over 20 years and this is this first time I have ever encountered anything like this with Southwest Airlines.  I have always spoken highly of Southwest Airlines and recommended Southwest Airlines to all my family and friends, but this is causing me to not want to travel Southwest Airlines again.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Travel Funds Lost

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

All travel using travel funds must be completed before expiration of the travel funds. That's a very long standing policy and your understanding was incorrect. 

All is not lost. You can request expired travel funds be converted to a voucher. The value of each travel fund is reduced by $100, but you will be able to use the majority of your expired travel funds value. You have 6 months after expiration to request this and then 6 months to use the voucher. Send your request in writing using the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. Send the confirmation numbers from the expired travel funds and names of the passengers who had the travel funds.

--TheMiddleSeat