Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds about to Expires -no one should travel during CoronaVirus Global Outbreak

adamico77
Explorer C

Hello, Please HELP! My family and I have been loyal Flyers of yours for over 10 years and I have had your credit card for as long as well. But I am extremely unhappy with the outcome of the travel policy during the CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK.

If this isn't rectified, I would never use Cash again, in fact I will never use SW again. I will cancel my SouthWest credit card. I will look to the web to write reviews regarding SouthWest Airlines. I would gladly use these travel funds which we paid CASH for but not at this time with this deadly Coronavirus.

I just got off the phone with SouthWest customer service. We have $237 worth (two confirmations #) of Travel Funds that needs to be used before April 2020. However, we do NOT feel safe traveling until this CoronaVirus Global OUTBREAK has stopped. We asked for an extension and were told no extensions,  use them or lose all but $37. 

At this point, my entire Family leaving SouthWest feels like a death since we have been with you so long. But I can not feel any other way but to never come back. 

Sincerely,

adamico77

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Travel Funds about to Expires -no one should travel during CoronaVirus Global Outbreak

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I know of no airline currently offering travel waivers for travel within the United States. If you don't feel safe flying now then that's certainly your decision, but no domestic airline would do what you are asking.

You could book a flight for travel before the travel fund expiration in April and hope a waiver gets issued. Then, if a waiver is issued you would be able to extend the funds, but you would need to have the travel already booked when the waiver is issued.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Travel Funds about to Expires -no one should travel during CoronaVirus Global Outbreak

kmsullivan
Explorer C

Jetblue is waiving all change fees due to CoronaVirus.. Maybe southwest will change their extension policy soon.

bec102896
Aviator A

Alaska Airlines is also waiving fees now. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@kmsullivan wrote:

Jetblue is waiving all change fees due to CoronaVirus.. Maybe southwest will change their extension policy soon.

1) SW  has never had change /cancellation fees.

2) NO AIRLINE (yet) has changed their expiration date policy for use of funds tied to passenger cancellations. SW givers you a year from the date of original ticket purchase.

Spirit gives you a whopping 3 months from date of cancellation

bec102896
Aviator A

Currently there is only 1 airline that I know of who are waiving fees for US flights (Jet Blue). Keep in mind Airlines will not fly if they feel it’s not safe to fly. Airlines are in contact with the CDC and health officials all over if there is a need to stop flights they will. If you still don’t feel safe flying I would reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 and maybe they can help you but as of now there is no waiver for Southwest. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

If you still don’t feel safe flying I would reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 and maybe they can help you but as of now there is no waiver for Southwest. 

I don’t know if the airline will extend or not without you having a booking in place - for example as of right now the travel funds will expire without you trying to use them.

If you had a trip booked, it would make a lot stronger argument for you to call in and ask for an extension due to the potential infection, as opposed to have a longer amount of time and no action. 

I think @bec102896 advice is the best unless you can book a trip now in which case you could call regular customer support and/or use Twitter or Live Chat.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I just flew on Southwest this weekend - left Friday 2/28, returned Tuesday 3/3. No issues at all on the flights. Since Southwest only flies primarily in the United States and Mexico / the Caribbean, they are the least likely to issue any sort of compensation due to the coronavirus at this time. There is no reason not to use your travel funds to fly on Southwest. Travel funds expire one year after date of original purchase, so you have had since April 2019 to use them. My advice, don't try to take advantage of the coronavirus outbreak by trying to get an extension on your travel funds that you could have used months ago before the virus started making headlines. 

--Jessica

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

"no one should travel during CoronaVirus Global Outbreak"

How about, "no one who buys into the media hype fear machine should travel ever."

That works better for me. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Are the two travel funds from one or more passengers. If more than 1, you are right, the net result after expiration would be no more than $37.

If they belong to one person, combine them to buy a flight anywhere for somewhere

between $237 or $250. Cancel that flight, and upon expiration you'll be able to get a voucher

(in my example) for either $137 or $150