Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds expiring before cruise

Nnstevens
Explorer C

I have had 6 cruises cancelled since 4/20. My next cruise us scheduled 11/6/21 but over $500 of my my travel funds will expire August 16, 21. After a few southwest phone  calls, they will not extend. Anyone having same issue or have you gotten them extended? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Travel Funds expiring before cruise

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Normally Southwest does not extend travel funds.

However, you will be able to convert the TFs in to vouchers after the TF's expire. The fee is currently $100 per TF. Vouchers are good for 6 months.

Nnstevens
Explorer C

I had heard that. Unfortunately they won't  combine  them together so my group will be losing 200 to 300 dollars.

bec102896
Aviator A

If you have multiple travel funds you would have to combine them yourself. 

Keep in mind you can only combine funds for each person individually. Meaning if you personally have 2 funds say $200 and another fund in your name for $100 you should book any flight you can find for $300 then cancel it. This way when the funds expire and you call to request the extension it will only be $100 instead of $200. Keep in mind if each person in your group has 1 fund then you will each lose $100 and you can't combine your funds with someone else's. 

-Blake

Nnstevens
Explorer C

Thanks for the response! So, I would book a flight on a date that is right before the expiration of 8/17 and then cancel it the day before it departs?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Nnstevens wrote:

Thanks for the response! So, I would book a flight on a date that is right before the expiration of 8/17 and then cancel it the day before it departs?

Actually, you can cancel it any day you  want. You don'r need to wait til the day before the flight.

Nnstevens
Explorer C

I was planning on booking the dummy flight today with 2 of the travel funds, but I read that they will revert back to the original date. I guess I can give it a try.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Nnstevens wrote:

I was planning on booking the dummy flight today with 2 of the travel funds, but I read that they will revert back to the original date. I guess I can give it a try.

They will keep the original expiration date, but  if your goal is to convert them to vouchers, you would pay $100 for 1 TF instead of $100 twice for 2 TFs.