Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds for miles does the miles count on Companion miles

Glorianielsen
Explorer C

I have not seen the ap that SW said they were going to give us to change our travel funds for miles.   Is it available yet?

Do the converted travel fund  miles count towards CP?    I am just at over 100,000, and I have  $250 in Travel Funds.  What amount of miles would I get for that amount?   Please educate me.

thank you

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Travel Funds for miles does the miles count on Companion miles

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Hi,

Were you at 100,000 with the Boost or prior to the Boost? Southwest gave a 25,000 point boost so if you had 100k before the boost you would now already qualify for the Companion Pass.

If you convert the Travel funds to points you would not get any miles for those being used.

If you did not if you booked a "Wanna Get Away Fare" you would get about 1,200 to 1,400 points total for the $250 in depending on the route you take. You can earn double points now through August 31st, though the bonus points do not count towards Companion Pass.

I am guessing you earned a majority of points through the Rapids Rewards credit card. You can also keep spending on that to earn more points towards Companion Pass too.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Rapid Rewards points earned from converting travel funds will not count towards Companion Pass or A-List tiers, they are only redeemable for travel, just like the travel funds you exchanged.  The main benefits or exchanging travel funds for points is so that travel can be booked for someone other than the person associated with the travel fund and the points do not expire whereas the travel funds expire in September 2022 (or earlier).  I do not believe the ability to convert travel funds to points has been put into effect yet, only announced at this time.

Earning Companion Pass requires earning 125,000 companion pass qualifying points within a single calendar year (Jan 1 - Dec 31).  Southwest did provide a 25,000 boost essentially reducing the required earning from 125,000 points to 100,000 points in 2020.  Those 25,000 points are not redeemable for anything, they just lower the number of additional points that must be earned this year.

--TheMiddleSeat

Matt4202
Adventurer A

MiddleSeat -

Sadly, you’re incorrect. Had you read my post you’d know that the Companion Pass requires 125,000 points, not 110,000. This was announced by Southwest in December and took effect January 1st 2020. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yeah yeah, we all make mistakes. I don't see that any previous post specified the actual amount required. 

--TheMiddleSeat