Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Funds not being extended

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mestiene wrote:

I was also told "NO"  And, I was never offered a LUV voucher either.  My funds expire April 20, 2021.  Considering my husband and I will just be getting our second vaccination shot this Sunday, there is no way we could travel responsibly or would have, for that matter, before we are fully vaccinated.  I'm very disappointed in Southwest for their non-handling of my complaint!

Southwest does not offer a voucher  in cases like yours. You have to request one.

1) It can only be done after a travel fund expires

2) Cost is $100 / travel fund

3) It must be done within 6 months of a TF expiration date

4) The resultant voucher is good for 6 months and may be used by anyone

If you have multiple travel funds, combine them to buy a new ticket, and then cancel that ticket. I doing so you can turn multiple $100 fees into fewer of them. This MUST  be done before the funds expire.

FYI, No other airline lets you do anything like this. With the other guys, when your funds expire, they are gone.

rlevans113
Explorer C

During Covid, I ended up with travel funds... I used some with little regard as to the expiration date as accessing the travel funds itself was a complicated process.  So I get to January and have travel funds that cant be used thru a combination of covid concerns and planning. I felt sure SW would extend the travel funds for 30 days... nooop, lost the dollars and am still irritated at doing so.

Rylan
Explorer C

I have to say, I went and registered for this forum because of how upset I am with southwest. Travel funds expiring in June from a ticket last year that was unusual enough due to covid. I want to book something in August using the funds and SWA refuses to do anything at all. No extension nothing, no options, thank you goodbye.

finds never appeared as eligible for extension last year. What a piece of crap airline. Every other extended credits with much more customer friendly policies, even spirit which is usually customer hostile.

southwest takes the cake on this one- doesn’t care that you can’t fly during a pandemic. Well keep your money and add it to our bottom line for more corporate bonuses and profits. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Rylan wrote:

I have to say, I went and registered for this forum because of how upset I am with southwest. Travel funds expiring in June from a ticket last year that was unusual enough due to covid. I want to book something in August using the funds and SWA refuses to do anything at all. No extension nothing, no options, thank you goodbye.

finds never appeared as eligible for extension last year.

Not sure I understand this - if you booked a flight and you cancelled it in June of 2020, you should have received travel funds that didn't expire until September 2022. Southwest extended all travel funds from customer-cancelled flights from March-September 7, 2020 to September 7, 2022. 

There's more you are not telling us about your travel funds if they expire this month. 

--Jessica