Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

SFDTravel15
Explorer C

I booked a trip last Sept. for travel in April which ultimately got cancelled because of COVID-19. We had planned to travel in August so I did not think the expiration date of October 2020 would be a problem; however, the reason for our travel (attending MLB games) does not appear it will be happening with fans in attendance so it does not seem as though we will be travelling after all.  SW has updated their policy to cover: 1) travel funds that will expire  between 3/1/20 - 6/30/20 and 2) travel funds created because of cancelled trips between 3/1/20 and 6/30/20.  Although this is generous, it does not assist me with my remaining balance that I can not use due to this current pandemic.  I did use some of my travel funds to purchase a one way ticket for that August trip (with hope that we would be able to attend baseball games) but I will now need to cancel (so I should get the extension) but I do not want to buy another ticket with my remaining funds just to turn around and cancel the trip so that I can extend the expiration date through June 30, 2021.  Any suggestions on a better solution so I don't lose my remaining travel funds which I will plan to use next year?  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Travel Funds

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@SFDTravel15 wrote:

I booked a trip last Sept. for travel in April which ultimately got cancelled because of COVID-19. We had planned to travel in August so I did not think the expiration date of October 2020 would be a problem; however, the reason for our travel (attending MLB games) does not appear it will be happening with fans in attendance so it does not seem as though we will be travelling after all.  SW has updated their policy to cover: 1) travel funds that will expire  between 3/1/20 - 6/30/20 and 2) travel funds created because of cancelled trips between 3/1/20 and 6/30/20.  Although this is generous, it does not assist me with my remaining balance that I can not use due to this current pandemic.  I did use some of my travel funds to purchase a one way ticket for that August trip (with hope that we would be able to attend baseball games) but I will now need to cancel (so I should get the extension) but I do not want to buy another ticket with my remaining funds just to turn around and cancel the trip so that I can extend the expiration date through June 30, 2021.  Any suggestions on a better solution so I don't lose my remaining travel funds which I will plan to use next year?  

Actually, travel funds created between 3/1 and 6/30 will have an expiration date of 9/7/2022.

That should happen automatically.

You'll have over 2 years to use them.

Yes, in    case you have travel funds that don't match the 3/1 to 6/30 specs, your best bet is to buy another ticket and then cancel it so you get the 9/7/22 for the resultant travel fund.

Re: Travel Funds

SFDTravel15
Explorer C

Thank you for the clarification.