Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Funds

bec102896
Aviator A

@SubmanDLLV wrote:

I have travel funds that expire 9-7-2022.  I'm thinking of booking a flight in October that will only use a portion of my travel funds.  Will the remaining funds still expire on 9-7-2022?  Also if I have to cancel the flight in October will I get the funds returned to my account, and if so when would they expire?

The remaining funds will expire September 7th 2022. If you book a new flight and need to cancel it after September 7th you will have the standard year from when you bought your ticket to use the funds. If you buy the ticket now and cancel on or before September 7th you will have until September 7th 2022 to use the funds. 

-Blake

Re: Travel Funds

SubmanDLLV
Explorer C

Thank you.  I was able to find an example on Southwest.com under the temporary COVID 19 rules.  Exactly my situation.  I had purchased my original ticket on 12-12-19 and was concerned the credit would only be good until 12-12-20 if I cancelled new flight for this October.  Happy to see Southwest is taking care of their customers.

For example:

• Your original unused travel funds with confirmation number OLD111 expired on March 19, 2020.
  • These unused travel funds were extended to an expiration date of September 7, 2022.
  • You use some of those funds on August 1, 2020 to book new travel in September under confirmation number NEW111.
  • If for some reason you need to cancel this new flight, your unused travel funds associated with confirmation number NEW111 will be valid for 12 months from the booking date which means they will expire August 1, 2021.
  • Any remaining unused travel funds tied to OLD111 will be available through September 7, 2022.