Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

48mjmichigan
Explorer C

I have 3 travel funds totaling $576.65 and all are expiring on December 5, 2020.

If I were to let them expire and then request a LUV Voucher would I be charged $100 for each Fund or can I combine them together and then be charged only one time $100.

Or what else can I do. I do plan to fly to Seattle for a cruise in June of 2021. I did have a cruise booked for this November 2020 but was cancelled.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Travel Funds

bec102896
Aviator A

Here's what I would do:

book a flight using 2 travel funds for as close to those funds as possible then cancel that reservation. Next book a 2nd reservation using the confirmation number you just got from the flight you booked then canceled and use the other travel fund that you didn't apply to the first reservation. Lastly cancel this 2nd reservation and all of your funds will be extended until September 7th 2022. Be sure you do these 2 booking/ immediate cancels before September 7th that way you will qualify for the extension and it won't cost you a cent. 

Edit: if you find 1 flight that is $576 or just under you can use all 3 funds as you can only have 3 forms of payment on a reservation (2 travel funds plus a credit card or 3 travel funds that cover the cost of the reservation completely) but still the same process of book then immediately cancel and the funds will be extended overnight to September 7th 2022

-Blake 

TheScooter
Explorer C

Just make sure that you wait 25 hours after booking each reservation before cancelling the reservation.

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheScooter wrote:

Just make sure that you wait 25 hours after booking each reservation before cancelling the reservation.

In my experience I was able to book at noon cancel and 12:01pm and overnight the funds were extended didn't have to wait 25 hours to cancel. 

nshima
Explorer C

SW is making money off of us who are wise enough to not travel to possible infect and/or be infected with covid-19.  No extension of travel funds-when SW knows it is not safe for people to travel and infect others on the plane, in the airport and infect people who we are visiting.  Extremely disappointed in this multimillion dollar business.   We're talking to the choir.  Next complaint will be put on Facebook.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@nshima wrote:

SW is making money off of us who are wise enough to not travel to possible infect and/or be infected with covid-19.  No extension of travel funds-when SW knows it is not safe for people to travel and infect others on the plane, in the airport and infect people who we are visiting.  Extremely disappointed in this multimillion dollar business.   We're talking to the choir.  Next complaint will be put on Facebook.

Two points here

1) You apparently bought a non refundable ticket. You do know what non refundable means, don't you? If you had bought a non refundable ticket on American, Delta, or United, you would find that it also would be non refundable - unless the airline cancelled your flight.

2) If you cancelled after 2/28, then you have a travel fund which is good thru 9/7/22. How do you know it will not be all right to travel within the next 25 months?

redflyer2
Explorer A

Thank you!  I just tried this with two travel funds that were due to expire December 19, 2020.  Hoping the date changes overnight to September, 2022, as the new funds still have the old date. Will hope for the best!!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@redflyer2 wrote:

Thank you!  I just tried this with two travel funds that were due to expire December 19, 2020.  Hoping the date changes overnight to September, 2022, as the new funds still have the old date. Will hope for the best!!

Was your fund's expiration date updated overnight?

redflyer2
Explorer A

Holy cow - it really did update to Sep. 2022!!  Happy Day!

SubmanDLLV
Explorer C

I have travel funds that expire 9-7-2022.  I'm thinking of booking a flight in October that will only use a portion of my travel funds.  Will the remaining funds still expire on 9-7-2022?  Also if I have to cancel the flight in October will I get the funds returned to my account, and if so when would they expire?