Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

ldiller
Explorer C

I tried to use a travel fund credit issued in September 2020 and I am being told that I have to use it by July 14th which is ridiculous considered everything just barely opened two weeks ago. I call the Southwest customer service hoping to receive assistance all they could do was quote policy. They said if I had cancelled a few days later my travel funds would have been good for additional six months?! Who chose such an arbitrary date? Anyone knows that to quote "policy" is just bad business. So disappointed in Southwest.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Travel Funds

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@ldiller Everything just opened up 6 weeks ago??? Things have been open. I've flown 41 flights so far this year, and I am certain others have flown many more. You have chosen not to travel. It certainly has been possible.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bwallet wrote:

@ldiller Everything just opened up 6 weeks ago??? Things have been open. I've flown 41 flights so far this year, and I am certain others have flown many more. You have chosen not to travel. It certainly has been possible.

Correct.

Over 1,500,000 people have traveled every day in the last three+ months. For the last few weeks that number is 2,000,000+ 

Something had to be open

bec102896
Aviator A

After your travel funds expire you can Contact Customer Relations and ask for an extension and on a case by case basis they will issue you a voucher valid for 6 months for your travel fund minus $100. If you have multiple funds i would combine those funds before they expire as the fee is $100 per travel fund to get the voucher. 

You have up to 6 months after the funds expire to request the voucher and the voucher would be good for 6 months from the date issued. 

-Blake

jksobonya
Aviator A

@ldiller wrote:

I tried to use a travel fund credit issued in September 2020 and I am being told that I have to use it by July 14th which is ridiculous considered everything just barely opened two weeks ago. 

I think you mean "everything just barely opened *to full capacity* two weeks ago."

That is pretty much true. Things have been open this whole time (since summer 2020), but there have been capacity limits, masks, temp checks, etc. A lot of this has gone by the wayside, as it should. What an awful, strange year it's been. I will be more than glad to have it in the rearview mirror going forward. 

That aside ... I'm not sure how a travel credit issued in September 2020 has an expiration date of July 2021. My only thought is you reserved the flight in July 2020 to fly in September, but it doesn't make any sense that you would fly anywhere in July *or* September 2020 given your post. 

--Jessica