Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

FreddyZ
Explorer C

Can I use travel funds from a cancelled flight for a flight that I rebooked (but forgot to apply travel funds)?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Travel Funds

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can't retroactively apply funds to a booking. If for some reason you rebooked the flight with either a Business Select or Anytime fare you could cancel it, get a cash refund, then rebook using the funds. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Anonymous2771 wrote:

You can't retroactively apply funds to a booking. If for some reason you rebooked the flight with either a Business Select or Anytime fare you could cancel it, get a cash refund, then rebook using the funds. 

Actually, that's not exactly true. If the fare was a "refundable" fare to begin with, and any change was made, it's no longer refundable. 😞

What you suggest may work if the fare was a Wanna Get Away that was rebooked as a BS or Anytime fare. In that case, the cash refund would be for only the BS or Anytime funds -- the original WGA fare portion would be held as travel funds. Cancelling would allow for rebooking and applying all the separate travel funds towards the new reservation. (Downside being the delay in receiving the cash refund.)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As the OP says the original flight was canceled, then they booked another, canceling that second booking would result in a cash refund IF second booking was a BS or AT fare. Based on the original description, no "change" was ever made. 

I'm guessing all this is probably mute as it was most likely a WGA fare. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Hard to tell exactly from the way it's written, but yes -- it's likely moot.  😉

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Dang it, moot, mute... You win that one. It's too early and I shouldn't be posting before I've had my caffeine.